Chapter 45

FOUR

The next morning, I wake before my phone alarm sounds. In the few times I have stayed the night with Tris, I quickly determined that cuddling with her was the very best way to wake up. But you know what's even better? Waking up as I am now: spooning the girl I love, my bare skin flush against hers. It's not quite the best feeling in the world ― not as amazing as what I experienced with her last night ― but it's the happiest feeling I have ever awakened to.

I'm a guy, of course I have always wanted to know what it feels like to have sex, and it was incredible, better than I could have dreamed of, pleasure beyond my imagination. But right now I am experiencing a different kind of bliss: feeling closer to Tris than I ever have to another person. I have always been especially contented when she is in my arms, but this is on a whole new level.

I breathe in her sweet scent and softly kiss her neck awhile my thumb draws gentle circles on her abdomen. "Mmm," she moans sleepily. My breath hitches as she presses back against my morning wood, not a stitch of clothing between us. "Good morning." Her voice is low and husky with sleep, seductive enough to make me physically twitch.

"It certainly is," I growl back, holding her tighter, my ministrations against her neck and collarbone becoming more fervent, sucking at the delicate flesh. I groan at the feeling of her skin sliding against mine as she rolls over to face me, breaking the hold my lips have on her collarbone. She catches them with her own and we kiss, tongues tangling and hands roaming, until we are interrupted all too soon by the grating noise of my alarm.

I want nothing more than to stay right here in bed with her. Every fiber of my being protests as I roll away from her to turn off the alarm, but I have places to be and I think I could be persuaded all too easily to forget responsibility and stay in bed for a repeat of last night. So I swing my legs over the side of the bed and sit up, leaning down to grab my boxer briefs from the floor and quickly slide them up my legs.

"When's your practice?" Tris asks me. I look over my shoulder and see her sitting up. The sheet pooled around her waist and her hair falling around her in waves obscure my view of my favorite parts of her body.

"In an hour." The bed shifts as she moves, then I feel her breasts pressed against my back, her chin on my shoulder, her arms around my waist.

Her breath tickles my ear. "I'm gonna go shower." She presses a kiss to my neck, then scoots around me to climb off the bed. I watch, mesmerized, slowly trailing my eyes up her body and holding myself back from grabbing her and pulling her into my lap. "You coming?" she throws over her shoulder.

I jump to my feet. "I think I will be in a minute," I quip as I chase after her.

-o-o-o-o-o-

I run my hands down my face, leaving them slick with sweat, and drain the rest of my water bottle. Peter slams his shoulder against mine, hard, as he passes, smirking at me. "Keep playing like that tomorrow, Eaton," he snickers. "Then you can be the one on the bench while I get all the scouts' attention."

I try to glare at him as he passes, even though I know he's right. I just can't seem to keep my mind on football, even now. My thoughts are stuck on last night and this morning. All I want is to be back at Tris's. In her bed. With her... naked. Well, both of us naked.

"Eaton!" Coach Amar bellows. My head snaps up and I make eye contact, and he gestures me toward him. "I'd like a word."

I take my time ambling over to Coach, trying to give my teammates a moment to make their way to the locker room, because I am certain this won't be a pleasant conversation. To put it bluntly... practice today was a total shitshow. Not only did I arrive late ― a fact I can't even honestly be sorry for, as it was thanks to hands down the best shower of my life ― but once I made it onto the field, I was a mess. Once, the ball actually hit me in the head because I couldn't keep my mind on the game to save my life and didn't realize Zeke had passed the ball to me. The third game in the play-off series is tomorrow. There isn't time for any of us to have our heads in the clouds, let alone the star quarterback.