Chapter 24

ZEKE

I have been pacing the hospital waiting room for twenty minutes and no update yet. All the lady at the front desk told me was that my brother was in surgery. Surgery for what? I don't know.

I had finally talked Maria into going on a date with me, and it went well ― when Mom called to tell me Uriah had been in an accident and to get to the hospital, Maria and I were in her room and had already shed most of our clothes. It's funny how I spent the whole last month trying to get with that chick, but a few words from Mom made Maria less than insignificant in an instant. She offered to come with me but there's no way I could have put up with her idiotic comments and questions while waiting to hear if my brother is ok. I'll be the first to admit that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. But next to Maria I look like Einstein.

Mom is taking the next flight from Miami; she should be boarding about now. I texted my friends to come down here because I am going crazy waiting here alone. Everyone has responded except for Tris. Usually I'm the king of distraction, but sitting here alone, all I can do is dream up worst case scenarios. What if he's brain damaged, or has amnesia? What if he's paralyzed.

What if he doesn't make it?

I need those doctors to come out here and tell me that my brother is just fine and take me to see him.

I see Marlene rush in through the automatic double doors with a tear streaked face and Al close on her heels and out of breath.

Marlene throws her arms around me. "Zeke, what happened?! Is he ― what's going on?" Marlene sputters, clinging to me. I feel her tears against my neck.

"I don't know," I say. "I don't know anything. All they told me is that Uriah is in surgery, I don't even know what his injuries are or anything. They said I have to wait for the doctor to come out and update me."

I pass off a weeping Marlene back to Al and repeat the same answers to the same questions over and over as our friends trickle in: first Four, then Lynn and Shauna, and Christina and Will last. But still no Tris.

No Tris, but then Caleb rushes through the door.

I'm confused seeing him for a moment but then it hits me. "No..." I groan. "Why would they..."

"What?" Four asks.

I don't answer him, I just get up and follow Caleb to the front desk.

"I'm here about Beatrice Prior," he tells the receptionist. His voice shakes. "She's my sister, she's been in an accident." So they were together. I thought this had to be a drunk driving accident, but Tris would never have gotten in the car with him drunk.

The receptionist types on her computer then tells Caleb, "They just took her back for scans. A doctor will come to the waiting room to update you."

Caleb thanks the nurse then turns to me and narrows his eyes. "Let me guess, Uriah was with her."

"Sounds like it."

Caleb glares at me. "Of course he was," he mutters, then walks away without even asking about my brother. Of course he'd blame Uriah. I don't know what happened or whose fault this accident was, but neither does Caleb.

I'm about to follow Caleb and tell him where he can shove it but then I see all my friends anxiously waiting to see what I know. So I decide to leave Caleb alone for now and go back to let the gang know that Uriah isn't the only one we've got to worry about now.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Hours pass and Uriah must still be in surgery because no one has come to update me. The longer I wait without knowing how he is, the sicker I feel. Caleb did get to go back and see Tris, though. I hope he will come back to let us know how she is, but I doubt it. I'll have to track him down later, after I know that my brother is okay. I know Tris is alive and that she's got her brother looking after her, and that is enough for now.