Chapter 23: Understanding

Thank you all for reading, it means so much yall come back every chapter! Please remember I love reading your comments and your suggestions are always needed!
Please remember my patrons get these chapters out at least one day early, and if you can't be a patron I do have a ko-fi and redbubble! The support helps me and gets chapters out a lot faster! 

------------

Carter held Valery in his arms, they could hear Harlee, Alex, and Kayla in with Asher. Valery shuttered, hearing him screaming. Carter rubbed her stomach happily. "You know love, when this little one comes we are going to be such a happy family."

She just nodded, she looked so much farther along then she actually was. He kissed the bump, and went out to grab her some fruit. She was thankful, he seemed to care enough about their unborn child, but she hated the idea that this place was supposed to be hers forever, she didn't want it. She hated it. She hated everything about it, these people were insane. What was it in their head that made them think that eating human meat was a normal sane thing to do.

Kayla and Harlee were tying the knot in a few weeks now and winter was around the corner. She had been there nearly an entire year. She was devastated by the fact she had been taken away so harshly. She was lost to the world.

She stood up and paced, waiting for him to come up, that was when she looked out the window. She saw someone walking towards the house, she couldn't see well, leaves had been moved to make a path. She waited and watched but soon they slipped into the barn, she assumed it was one of Max's teens. She went and sat back on the bed, still hearing the screaming coming from Alex's room. Carter made his way back up towards Valery. "Here is your fruit, oh and my mom said you wanted these." He handed her a few journals.

"Oh, these are wonderful." She smiled as she began to read the one on top. He held her tightly while she read, he was interested to know what she was reading. She took notice that some pages were wet, others had some blood splatters, and others were ripped up. "Its sad these are ruined." Valery said softly.

Carter looked them over, holding one of them in his hand. "What are they?"

"Oh your moms diaries. I wanted to know how she came to love the family, as well as what to expect from her pregnancy, but I couldn't really find anything on her pregnancy, you kind of just come out of no where, the few pages before are shredded from the book. I can see stuff on the twins, but not you."

"I was kinda a surprise according to my mom."

"She told me she nearly died when you were born."

He scrunched his nose. "Oh. Really?"

"She might not have told you because she didn't want to worry you?" She replied. "How much of a surprise were you?"

"I was apparently such a surprise they didn't know they were having me until I was here."

"I have heard of that happening." Valery said looking over the books. She was scanning each page. She could tell when Anika decided to give up, when she no longer called Jace a monster, when she began to say her husband rather than Jace, or that man. Anika and Jace were odd to her, she wanted to find out more about the situation of Carter. She noticed how much death Anika had witnessed before she gave in. That she still wasn't fully converted when the twins were born.

"Carter, when it begins to snow, do we still kill?"

"Yes, why would that change?"

"Blood in the snow?"

"We don't really try and kill in the snow, it makes a mess."

She looked him over, she was honestly concerned by everything that they had to say. When they said the things they did she got more and more confused by their logic. Kidnapping, and rape is okay, but killing in the snow. That wasn't a good idea. Valery looked out the window again and noticed the person who had gone into the barn was stumbling. "Carter.. I think... there is someone coming out of the barn. They look drunk?"

Carter got up quickly, and raced out to find who she was talking about. He saw leaf tracks, which weren't as helpful as it would be if it were snow. He did however hear the sound of someone walking. A trail of blood did however allow him to find them, that was when he found who was stumbling. Max's oldest son, Jack.

"What the hell are you doin'?" He asked concerned.

His breath smelled like alcohol and his words were slurred. "What the hell are you doing? He grabbed him from the shirt, blood covered him.

"Fou....found it .. found it in the..cup...cupboard." He hiccuped and smiled. "Killed the...killed those damn..Barn people."

"You did what!" Carter asked, his eyes were wide. "They were our meals for winter you idiot." The kid began to crumble. His eyes twitched a little, and he was terrified. Everything was making him cry.

"I wanted to be..to be.." He hiccuped again. "Big."

He dragged him towards his home. Max and Nina were looking outside the window to see Carter dragging their child towards them. He was bloody and crying. Nina ran out the door and her son came running towards them, Nina looked to Carter. "What happened?"

"Do you not smell the alcohol?"

She took a deep breath, looking him over, "Jack what do you think you are doing?"

"I wan." he hiccuped again and his legs became jelly. He dropped and she looked him over. "Wanted to.. wanted to be big."

"Jack killed the people in the barn." Carter growled.

Nina's eyes grew wide. "When your dad gets home, you are in so much trouble." Nina said as she dragged her son inside. Carter made his way towards the barn, a scene that even made him sick welcomed him as he entered. The bodies were practically useless now, blood covered nearly every inch of the barn. "How did he do this alone?" He asked himself looking over the bodies. That was when he found the weapons, and he understood why. A rake, a hoe, and even a hacksaw. Jack was so young, and yet he was so vicious. He came back inside, sick.

He finally understood what Valery meant. That they could be sadistic, that they could be monsters. He paced back and forth for a few minutes concerned, he knew that there was a problem. He didn't want their unborn child to end up like that, he was concerned, he had to talk to Max about what is going on with Jack later. He cleaned the blood off himself. He decided he should go off and build the crib, he had to keep it off his mind. Valery slept soundly.