Chapter 15

Song: Never Let Me Go- Florence + The Machine

***

Evelyn's POV

I'm sitting at my desk in my apartment, typing a paper for my world history class. My fingers are cramped up, tired from typing. I rub my eyes wearily and say some words of self-encouragement in my head before continuing.

My phone rings and I start singing along to my ringtone, before checking who it is. I pick it up and see a contact picture– it's Shon and I smiling, with me holding the large giraffe stuffed animal he won for me. I smile at the picture, then slide my finger across the screen, answering. "Hey!"

"Hey, Ev! What are you up to?" His voice is cheerful. Just hearing him speak energizes me.

"Oh, I'm typing a paper for my world history class." My fingers no longer feel cramped while I hold my phone close to my ear. A smile instantly formed as he spoke to me.

"Oh, that's no fun."

"Tell me about it," I sigh, spinning around on my swivel chair, my knees lightly bumping the corners of the desk. "So what's up?"

"Well, I thought you could use some fun. So, would you like to go on a date with me?"

My cheeks instantly flush red; I'm glad he can't see me. "I would love to!"

"Great! Can I pick you up tomorrow at 10?" I can hear the smile through his voice.

"That sounds perfect. I can't wait!" If looks could kill, just one look at me would make someone die of happiness.

"Perfect. Make sure to pack a swimming suit, as well as some sneakers."

"Okay, I will. Bye!" I hang up the phone and jump to my bed, my phone still in my grip. I start squealing in delight, which makes Emily slam open my door.

"What's wrong!? I heard screaming!"

I break out into a fit of laughter, then jump up and hug her. "Don't worry, I'm fine. Shon just asked me out on another date!"

She hugs me back and starts squealing as well. "Hell yeah! You go, girl! Where's he taking you?"

I shrug my shoulders. "He didn't tell me. He only said bring my swimsuit and sneakers."

"Hm. That's an odd request."

"Well, whatever he's planning, I'll be happy as long as we're together."

Emily grins, and I realize how cheesy that sounded. "Aw, look at you being all cheesy! You two together are adorable!" I smile, and she reaches out and pats my head. "Well, I'll let you continue writing your paper. Have fun!"

"Haha, thanks," I reply sarcastically. She leaves and I get back to work, finishing my essay two hours later.

~~~

The next morning I wake up to my monotonous alarm blaring in my ear. I groan and roll over, pressing my face into the soft pillow, before hitting the snooze button in annoyance. remembering that Shon is coming to pick me up, I quickly scramble out of bed and get ready.