Chapter 23

Shon's POV

7 years ago...

A loud noise resonates throughout the house, startling me, and I quickly jump up and run to my door, nervous on what's the other side. I open it and run to the stair banister, a yelp escaping my lips as I stare at Erika laying on the floor in a twisted position. I carefully step down the stairs and over her, shuddering when I glance at her eyes.

I feel a strong breeze and turn around, seeing the door open and father standing there, a gun in his hands. Fear punches me in the gut as he turns around to me, his eyes full of darkness that sends shivers down my spine.

A tear falls down his face as he suddenly erupts in a fit of laughter, his eyes crazy, passed the line of sanity.

Confused, I step around him and outside into the cold, rainy afternoon.

I had to squint to see anything as a downpour started, treading through the now muddy path to find what father had shot.

Eventually, I did.

"Easton!" I yell as soon as I see him on the ground. I run up to him, water splashing from the puddle forming under him; I'm unsure whether the discoloration of the water is mud or blood, but the stains on his shirt prove it's the latter.

I collapse to my knees and I gently lift up his head with my hand, slightly propping him with my knee.

"Easton, wake up," I plead, tapping his cheek. "Wake up!" Water streams down my face, and I'm unsure if it's tears or the rain.

"He's dead, son." I hear the bone-chilling voice say, and I turn my head, glaring at him.

"You killed him!"

"She got away." He said after a long moment of silence, not acknowledging the fact that he killed his own son, his own flesh and blood.

He's a monster.

Father pulls out his phone and dials a number, before his face shifts completely.

"Help! My son... H-he has been shot!" He acts out, and my face twists in disgust.

He continues to give the address and claims it as a "hunting accident". A short while later, we hear sirens, and Jake grabs me by my arm, violently dragging me into the house.

"You will not say a word, Zaine. If anyone asks, you were taking a shower because you were ill, and you heard the gunshot thinking we caught something. Do you understand me?"

I nod, not wanting to look at him, afraid that the hatred would be so apparent in my eyes.

"And if you do anything," he grabs my chin to make me look at him, his eyes and voice equally violent. "You will be next."

***

Present-day...

I groan in pain and shuffle to get up off the ground. Just as I stand up, I hear Jake burst open the large metallic door. He looks at the chair and then me, and even though the warehouse was dark, I could still see the evil expression on his face.

"Dad, I can explain–" I start to say when he stomps over towards me, and swings his fist out, connecting it to my jaw. I fall from the impact, and he kicks me once in the stomach.

"You disappointed me. You're just like your brother." He spits out, and I can feel a tear slide down my face, from his words, the pain, and my own guilt.