Chapter 16

Beautiful cover made by BeckyRuef ♡♡

Evelyn's POV

I choose white jean shorts with rips and a light pink tank top, topping off my outfit with some white vans.  I put on some makeup and a gold necklace carved with my name that my mom got for me when I was younger.

I grab my phone and my car keys and head out my door, texting Shon that I'm on my way.

I arrive at the house, with cars lined up all down the street. I find a spot and park, walking up the huge modern house with large windows, colored lights streaking through. I can hear a mega bass in the house, along with muffled chatter. How the hell am I going to find Shon? This place is huge! I take a deep breath and walk inside.

In the house I am greeted by loud music, people chattering and the reeking smell of alcohol. I scan the room but see no sign of Shon. I take one more room before doing the most logical thing at a party— I get a drink.

After pouring my drink in a red solo cup, I look around the room, just in time to see Braden walking into the house. I feel heat creeping into my face, and my palms turn clammy. Why am I feeling like this? It's Braden, not the FBI.

I shake that thought out of my head, put my drink down, and push my way through the crowd towards Braden.

"Hey!" I smile, shouting against the music and crowd.

"Hey, Ev." He smiles back at me, pushing his hair out of his face. My heart starts beating faster.

We stand there for a moment, unsure of what to do. What do I say? There are a million thoughts swirling in my head right now. I need to tell him about Shon and me.

"Braden... I need to tell you something." I look around for a possible quiet place to talk, my sight landing on the door leading to the backyard. "Come on." I grab his hand and lead him to the backyard.

We head through the back door onto a wooden porch, with some white chairs and tables, with lights strung above the porch. There's a stone path leading into a forest, with a colorful array of flowers planted along the edges of the path.

Braden and I walk along the path until the music and noises of the party fade into a slight hum.

"Braden, I..." I don't even realize I'm still holding his hand, and let it go. "I have to tell you something. I—"

"Wait don't say anything for a minute, Ev. I want to say something first." He looks down at the ground, running a hand through his disheveled hair. My heart starts to beat faster.

"Ev, I know I've been a dick recently—and for that, I am so sorry.  And these weeks without you have been actual hell. I miss you Ev— I miss my best friend."

I stare into his blue ocean eyes, searching for what to say next. Without hesitating, I stand on my tiptoes and wrap my arms around his neck, bringing him into a hug.

"I miss you too. I hate fighting with you." I squeeze my eyes shut, comforted by his hands around me, how close we are...

I shake those thoughts out of my head.

"Ev, I've been thinking a lot about us. Actually, the funniest thing happened on the day of our fight. I met with Mrs. Campbell."

"Mrs. Campbell? Our old teacher?" I laugh. "How did you run into her?"

"I went to our tree. She was just leaving the school." He laughs. "That crazy lady is still teaching Saturday school." His chuckle sends shivers down my spine, my face once more heating up.