Chapter 21

Warning: This chapter contains themes of abuse and violence that may be distressing for some readers. Viewer discretion is advised.

Evelyn's POV

7 years ago

"Evelyn, come down and meet your new foster family!" One of the social workers calls up to me. I hardly remember any of the worker's names from moving around so often.

I finish packing all my belongings in a small pink duffel bag, the one Christmas gift I wanted so I wouldn't have to carry my stuff in a black garbage bag.

This time will be different. They'll want to keep me.

I sigh, then force a smile on my face and grab my duffel bag. I head down the creaky wooden stairs of the orphanage, with my slightly heavy bag in both hands hanging dangerously close to my feet as I step on each step, hopeful this will be my last time I ever step foot in this place.

Once I'm close to the base of the steps and am fully confident that I won't trip on the bag or the stairs, I look up and see the blonde social worker named... Ok so her name is now Mrs. M because I can't think of her name.

"Evelyn, meet your foster family, the Williams." She smiles at me and I pause for a second and look at the Williams. There are two boys with shaggy brown hair and dark eyes. They are wearing polo shirts and khakis, the basic uniform that all the foster boys wear when meeting their new family. I look down at my blue dress, making sure it looks nice enough for them to like me.

I look up at the tall man who is staring down at me and take a few steps closer to him. I raise my hand out and he looks at it for a second, before shaking it.

"Hello, Sir. My name is Evelyn and I'm 11 years old."

He looks up at Mrs. M with a slightly surprised expression, then looks back at me and grins. Boy does he have a creepy smile.

"Hello, Evelyn. My name is Jake. And this," he points at the two boys. "is Easton, who is 16, and Zaine, who is 12. Mrs. Williams would've loved to be here but she caught a terrible cold." He winks at me and I raise a brow in confusion in response to the wink. What does that mean? I turn and look at the two boys who lightly smile at me. I give them a small smile.

After a while of standing around, waiting for Jake to finish filling out paperwork, one of the boys, who I think is Easton, grabs my bag and we walk out of the orphanage. Once outside, I take a deep breath of the clear air and smile at the blue sky and fluffy white clouds. Today is the first day of freedom.

***

I'm in prison. A very scary prison.

It's been 6 months since I've been to this hell hole, a word I learned watching my first Pg-13 movie.

I mostly stay in my small room every day, only able to go out for the bathroom and eating. My bedroom is my safe space, where I can stay far away from Jake. When he collects bottles around his recliner is when he's the scariest, but only for a little while until he passes out. Those are the times where I learned the hard way to lock myself in my room, trembling in fear when he bangs on the door to come hurt me. When he leaves, I cry, blaming myself when he hits me. I did something wrong. He hates me and this is my punishment.

When he gets like that, which is almost every day unless he's at work, then Easton will usually bring me food. He doesn't say a word but has a frown on his face when he sees me.