1

The wind blew through her hair as she sped down the highway, a cigarette between her fingers. The Ballad of Lucy Jordan played as she drove.

"I remind myself of Thelma and Louise." She murmured to herself.

It'd been a long week and she was headed from work. She loved her job, but sometimes it took a toll on her. She'd always dreamt of being a teacher.

As she made it to her house she sighed and snubbed out her cigarette. Jessica grabbed her things and padded her way up to her doorstep. She hadn't walked in all the way before she was jumped by her daughter.

"Mommy!"

"Hi sweetie."

"Missed youuuuuuu and baby."

Jessica's breath caught in her throat. She hadn't told her daughter yet and she didn't know if she could.

She scooped up her daughter and walked into the study, seeing her husband stand up and go to her.

He gives her a quick peck on the lips and smiles.

"Hi sweetheart."

"Hey."

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay." She said softly, refusing to make eye contact with her high school sweetheart. He still gave her butterflies to this day.

"Evie, go play with Doug." He said softly, kissing her forehead and having Jessica set her down. She snuggled closely to him, kissing his lower jawline.

As Evelyn ran to find the dog, Daniel pulled Jessica in his lap and held her tightly as she rest her head on his shoulder.

"It's okay Jessica." He said as he felt her tremble against him.

"No it's not." Her voice broke.

She sniffled and Danny kissed her forehead.

"I can't do this anymore Danny." Her eyes were instantly puffy as they looked into his eyes.

"Shh. Shh. I know."

This has been their 5th miscarriage through IVF. Jessica was having fertility issues. Danny supported her fully through everything.

"Do you want me to get a vasectomy? I don't want to hurt you anymore Jessie."

This made Jessica cry louder. He held her tighter and began to cry with her.

"I'm so sorry." He said, lip trembling.

"For what?"

"For making you feel like we need to have more kids."

"You never even said anything about kids. You were happy with Evie and I." She said kissing him tenderly.

"You and Evie are the only ones I need Jessica. Ever."