If Love is Enough

Synopsis: In the aftermath of Hawk Moth's defeat, there is no joy for Chat Noir. With his world crumbling, is this the beginning of the end for Adrien, or will love be enough to find a way.

It was finished. Hawk Moth was defeated, but Chat Noir could feel no elation in their victory. The moment that should have been their greatest triumph was only going to be the beginning of the end for Adrien Agreste as he watched his father be taken away in handcuffs, followed closely by Nathalie. Before him departed the only family he had left. Perched high above the Agreste Estate, which he refused to call his home, he witnessed the final blow. A bag on a stretcher that contained the lifeless body of his mother, perfectly preserved as she was. A living relic that had sent his father into madness.

He understood why his father had done what he did, truly, but he could not justify it. As much as Adrien would have adored his mother being back among the living, there would have been too great of a price to pay. He could never betray the trust that had been placed in him with his miraculous. To turn his back on Plagg or his Lady like that was unthinkable, both had sacrificed so much for him. No, he chose the right road, at the expense of those who should have been closest to him. That was a debatable concept, which in many ways made the choice easier. Still, he wasn't sure if he was ready for the fallout that would inevitably follow.

Chat was vaguely aware of footsteps behind him before a soft gloved hand rested on his shoulder. Since turning 18 over a year ago, they no longer needed to worry about their transformations counting down, an advantage that helped them in the final battle. Ladybug sat down next to him as they saw the emergency vehicles begin to pull away. Reporters, like vultures, flocking around the fallen fashion icon. Ladybug could see something was not right in her Kitty's eyes. This wasn't the look of someone who had just defeated a villain that had taunted them for almost 5 years. Chat was distant, not physically but emotionally. Ladybug sat silently beside him keeping her hand on his arm. Chat slowly placed his other hand over hers in acknowledgement. He couldn't tell her what was wrong, but needed what small comfort she could offer him. Ladybug cleared her throat before she began to speak.

"I, ah, collected the miraculouses back from the others but I still can't find Adrien anywhere." Chat could hear the worry in her voice. For the first time since he met her, he was grateful that she didn't know who he really was. Never did he think he would hate being an Agreste more than he did at this very moment.

"I wouldn't worry about him." He said, almost flippantly. "I'm sure he's fine. If he's smart he'll stay wherever he can hide where nobody can find him." Ladybug stared at Chat speechless. His eyes were almost devoid of life, the coldness of his words frightened her. She didn't understand what was wrong, or what she could do to fix it. Regardless of what was happening to Chat, she needed to know Adrien was safe. He was one of her closest friends and despite the years that had passed, she still loved him. Chat looked at her trying to smile, but not succeeding. "You should go home now. Go rest and be with your family."

"Chat we can't just leave him. What if Adrien is hurt somewhere? What if he's all alone and in need of..."

"Do you trust me Ladybug?" Chat interjected. She was caught off guard by the question and the fact that he called her Ladybug. He rarely did that, preferring one of his many pet names he had for her. Chat wasn't looking at her, but down at the police vehicle that held Gabriel Agreste as it slowly began to drive off. There was a darkness in his eyes, but also a great sadness. She reached out her hand to his face, gently turning it towards her.

"You know I do." She stated simply her bluebell eyes looking deep into his green cat eyes. She may not have allowed herself to love Chat the same way she did for Adrien, but she never doubted him. She would put her life in his hands without hesitation. Chat placed his hand over the one she held onto his face, curling his fingers around hers.