Chapter 3

After 3 years of gruelling training, I came out on the top of my class. No one could rival me. I didn't really make any close friends, sticking to myself, but I also dropped my attitude just a little bit to make life easier showing respect to my commanding officers. I was probably closest to Eren and Bertholdt. They were both incredibly sweet and I always used a little less attitude when talking to them.

We were on the top of the wall in Trost, talking about what regiment everyone chose at the ceremony. Eren, of course chose survey corps and Mikasa and Armin as his little henchmen followed, but most seemed interested in the garrison or military police. When all of their attention was focused on me asking why I chose scouts I simply stated that it was my only choice. By now the group had heard the rumours of where I came from. To my relief and surprise, they didn't treat me any different than what they did beforehand and went back to what they were doing. Sasha then ran up to them with some meat she had stolen and I went back to work, zoning out of the conversation.

A loud noise had us all turning and to my shock the colossal titan – the titan that laid ruin to the Shiganshina district, was in front of us all. Within seconds, we were all thrown off the wall and I was left to catch Sasha, who was too shocked to use her mobility gear to attach to the wall.

"Sasha, use your gear." I spoke to her. She nodded shocked and did what I asked.

Eren had launched himself off the wall and went to attack the colossal titan. He had good form and as he swung at the nape, the titan disappeared. But the damage was already done, Trost district began filling with titans.

Shortly after, we were called back and Mikasa and I were commanded to protect the retreating civilians as we were the best in our class and therefore had the best chance of protecting them. Our job was easy. One titan was killed by Mikasa and there was a small scuffle with greedy traders who were trying to get all of their supplied through. But as soon as the evacuation was complete we joined the front lines. A lot were dead or missing. Armin was in shock and we quickly found out it was because Eren was killed by a titan. Panic ensued and Mikasa was left in shock. Everyone knew she loved the boy.

"People have locked themselves in the supply room, there's no way we can fill up our gas ans restock our blades, what do we do?" Connie asked in worry.

All of them turned their eyes to me. I don't know why. Maybe because I was the best, but also because I was the most put together. I was saddened at the death of Eren, he was always kind to me. But now was not the time to display those emotions.

"We need to make a run for the supply tower." I stated. "Don't kill titans along the way unless you have to. I still have enough gas to make it there and back so I can give some to the person with the lowest gas."

"That's me." Connie said.

As I distributed the gas. I noticed not everyone was on board with my plan, especially that horse faced boy named Jean.

"Now is not the time to be a coward." I looked Jean dead in the eyes, I continued as he shuddered at my dead look. "You can either sit here and become titan shit or come with me and at least attempt to live. You joined the scouts, did you not expect to see titans? Or are you all just dumb shits who thought you'd be twiddling your thumbs all day?"

This seemed to enrage Mikasa, not at me, but at the situation. "She's right." Mikasa nodded at me.

After giving her own little spiel and getting Armin up, we all started heading toward the supply tower. Mikasa went down and everyone kept going, as commanded, but seeing as I had some form of gas left, I stopped.