Chapter 1

I was in the city of Nico and the Niners, that's how we called it.

I was brought here when my parents disappeared, I was an orphan and Nico treated me like every other kid here, like I was his kid. I was lucky, I got a bedroom just for me. It was beautiful, there wasn't many colors except for grey. I liked it. I could better sleep that way. In the middle of my room was neon light formed into the facility of this city, the light spread across the whole room. Every morning we assembled for the "creation of light" rituals. They tolled us to never exit this facility, because if we do, we would get tortured and killed by some hunters who lived outside. They tolled us the outside world was cruel. If we go, we get instantly caught by those hunters and killed. In the afternoon we could do whatever we wanted to do. Me and my friend are always in our treehouse that we build in the little woods close to the family houses. We always created things. Since creativity and imagination was forbidden (they said it would destroy us), we hided what we did, it was fun. We invented games, secret languages, codes and mostly music.

Sometimes we had to hide in the ritual room to be protected when the hunters tried to attack. When we were free to exit the room, I always saw how the vultures were taking the corps to the tower of silence who is exactly in the middle of this gigantic facility.

One day we got attacked and we all assembled. This time there where more hunters, we were stuck in this room longer then usually. It was night and I decided to sleep on the floor by the doors, I didn't have any choice all the beds were taken, and this was the only spot left. I lied down and started to drift of.

The doors busted open. I woke up with fear all written in my face. I was inches away from this strange man who just rushed in. He was wearing all green et had some yellow stripes. I knew he was looking for someone, but I didn't know who, so I followed his gaze and realised I was the only one awake. I started to stare at him, to see who he was. Was he dangerous? How could he bust in? who is he? Will he kill me? My thoughts where interrupted when his eyes met mine. I was at first petrified, what should I do? Should I scream for help? Or talk to him? I decided to stand up. I knew I wanted to start a conversation with him, I was sick of being isolated for such a long time. The man took a step forward but stopped instantly. I didn't understand. His face took a shade of white and his eyes where wide open. He looked down and I followed his eyes, worried of what might have happened. Blood rushed out of his stomach and a grey hand hold him on the shoulder. I watched how Nico stabbed this man multiple times and I did nothing. The stranger fell to the floor. Petrified. I didn't do a single loud. Nico took a few steps in my direction; I didn't pay attention to him. My eyes where focused on the dead men on front of me. His blood rushed in front of my feet's, it looked like he was swimming in his blood except he was dead.

I snapped. I lost it. I just screamed. I pushed the bishop out of my way and started running outside in the darkness. When I finally found my way outside, I immediately stopped and stared at the bodies in front of me. There where hundreds of bodies on the ground all swimming in a pool of there own red liquid, like the stranger did before. I walked true the corps and analysed everyone; they all had the same colors on. Green and yellow stripes, some even brown. I stopped in the middle of the battlefield. The sky darkened as vultures made their way to the body's. With there massive claws the vultures took them to the tower of silence. After that everything begin to be blurry as tear made their way to my cheeks.

Nico brought me to my room and talked. I ignored him. When he finally left, I locked the door and thought about what just happened. How could I trust this murderer? Was I so blind? I mean he did that maybe every time we were attacked. It could be the fact that he raised me and the citizens.

I locked myself in my room for three days. Three days of thinking what I should do next, how I should react when I see him. I sat on the edge of my window, taking deep breaths to calm my self down from my panic attack. I heard earlier one of the bishops scream after a citizen and I thought they came for me and would put me again in those dark cells because I didn't attend to any of the rituals, they never came. In those three days no one dared to enter my room and I was grateful for this. When my breathing was finally steady and my vision started being clear again, I observed the beauty of the outside world. A fine line of smoke could be seen between the mountains. I didn't recognize it at first, but I knew this wasn't supposed to be there. I knew in that exact moment, that I needed to escape.