Part 1: Before and After Calamity

The young man regarded the old man in front of him and formulated a question. Mothlike, the pale young man was drawn to the campfire with the baking apples. At least one person looked younger and one looked older in this scene. The old man spoke before the young man decided where to start.

"Well we meet, stranger!" The young man wonders if he heard that right or maybe is a little discombobulated. He's got amnesia so it wouldn't be farfetched whatsoever to expect brain damage. This is a worrying thought so he tries hard to listen to the old man. the old man seems to be stumbling over the words even as they come from his mouth "It rather undefined to look another mind on these parts." The young man stares and thinks maybe he got a bit of what the guy meant. Sort of. The young man tries not to stare. Okay, now to proceed with the second step of small talk. Maybe the weather? Nah, he was hungry. Talking about the weather was something he'd resort to later if he needed to change subject.

"Who are you?" That seemed sufficient to begin with and was probably polite. He may not remember his name right now but he is going to be civilized even if he had to stick with simple phrases until he figures out the concussion stuff.

"My? Spare I alive story. I'm only an old fool that person is live this place, alone, of quite a several anytime currently. Sorry myself'm don't well taking yours language." The old man says. The last part, when the young man finally understands, is a massive relief.

"Oh thank the Goddesses! It's a language barrier." So amnesia is the only brain damage he has to worry about for now, as far as he knows. He tries to speak more slowly and clearly without being condescending. "It is okay sir. Language is hard and I'm just happy to find people. Where are we?"

"Wh ydoe slan gu ageh avet obeso diffi cult?" the old man mutters to himself. "To myself cannot imagined meeting be that plain coincidence. Myself shall talk you. This Great Plateau. This temple there... Long ago were house for sacred events. Ever the since fall for kingdom 100 years ago, sit abandoned, on that state for decay. Yet another forget thing. That ghost for its former selfs. Myself shall be this place of a several anytime. Pleasure let my understand conditionally to myself may be for service"

"...Say that again?" The old man complies with the request once more with the young man repeating back things to him in what he thinks the old man meant to say.

"Thank you!" It is good to have another person around to speak to here and even offer to guide him. At least that is what the young man thinks was said. Maybe they can give each other language lessons?

------------------

It was afternoon when Link reached the bridge. He was displeased. He was only just barely starting to grasp the cadence of modern Hyrulean language when the old man was like, 'Hey, I'm actually a ghost. Here's your quest. Bye.' He'd stuck around the plateau for a hundred years, you think he'd be able to stay long enough to make sure Link could avoid serious social faux pas. King Rhoam had spent so much time learning Link's language and then decided to cut the lesson short to tell Link to quest.

At least some things remain the same, like trees. He isn't sure if apples are supposed to be so big and red and sweet. It was a distinct probability that farmers had made crops even better over the millenia. This was one thing which Link was going to like about this whole endeavor to help a girl he's never met.

Darn that Rhoam guy. Link thinks as he examines the crumbling rail and finds a spot that looks sound. He tests it. It looks stable enough for a thinking spot. He came up with a really good joke on the way here but no one alive would be able to understand enough of Link's words to properly appreciate the genius. It is a good joke that pokes fun at the absurdities of government and human folly. It is a masterwork of friendly satirical wit that does not rely on a pun. It also has a cucco because that makes every joke better.