Part 10: Daruk's Deflection

Daruk has a chat with Link, Link gets to enjoy more non-geothermal nature with friends, and there is a small flashback.

-------------------

A voice echoed through the darkness of the Divine Beast. "Hey, little guy! Are you Link? Should've known you'd be still kicking around. Oh, wait, I forgot you don't understand me..."

The little guy in question stopped in his tracks and while putting the slate on the Guidance Stone said, "I hear you, can speak little language!"

"Great! Are you here to take control of ol' Rudania back from Ganon?"

"Um, same as Vah Ruta? Control? What's control?"

If Daruk were able to properly manifest he'd be smacking his forehead. "Oh, this is gonna be a fine kettle of Keese. I'll try not to distract you too much."

"What word distract?," Link asked as he looked at the map of Rudania on the slate.

---------------

Link collapsed onto his back and chugged a fireproof elixir before his hair started to smoulder. He was tired enough that mental translation was not up to speed again.

In fact, to him Daruk sounded like he was saying something along the lines of, "Perhaps I should have. Thank you, my soul is finally off. I can not thank you so much?"

"Um, you are welcome?" Link said in response.

Daruk scratched his head sheepishly, it sounded something like, "Well, Link, this twice being you help me. Just, uh, please no dog say?"

This statement was incomprehensible to Link. "Please repeat that. What was that about a dog?"

"Forget it."

"I have amnesia already. What do dogs have to do with it?"

Daruk muttered something to himself as Link did his best stare back. The rest of what Daruk was muttering was incomprehensible to Link. Daruk wondered if he'd be able to change subjects to avoid Link remembering. He successfully diverted Link's attention with the gift of Daruk's Protection.

---------------------

Link was thrilled to return to Epona. He'd also missed being able to take a deep gulp of air that was clear of volcanic fumes. He flopped backwards onto the soft grass to take in the warm orange glow of the sky above a forest. Then he drew two carrots from his inventory and compared them before handing the juicier-looking vegetable to Epona. Epona chomped it down before resuming her drink at a pond. "Well, Epona, I think that Bokoblin camp isn't gonna be bothering anyone. Looks like the stablehands took good care of you. I think the guy said you were nice to the kids but what was that about you kicking some thief?"

Epona snorted as she finished drinking her water. She stood next to her master and the grey wolf that may or may not exist. (Link wasn't sure, no one else seemed to notice it so it could be imaginary like the tree people. He just decided to roll with it and even fed the illusory wolf.) Both animals, definitely-existing and maybe-existing, looked at Link then back to the beautiful orange glow which illuminated the twilit sky.

"Yeah, okay, so maaaaayyybe my arson wasn't cured by Death Mountain after all," Link admitted to Epona as the flames licked the trees, "You gotta admit, it is getting rid of the monsters." It probably hadn't helped that Link picked up a fire rod from a Wizzrobe on the way out. It seemed like a good idea at the time since the mountains and the desert got cold at night. The fire rod was discarded in the bottom of the pond.