Part 14: Finding the Helm

Link follows some directions to try and find Urbosa's resting place. He doesn't encounter the occult as much as a cult that wants him dead.

---------------------

Link had tried to eavesdrop at the bazaar to find out where people went to pay respects to Urbosa. Then, with no small amount of optimism, he set out across the sand.

There was a Yiga on the road out traveling to either collect information, or collect Link's head. She'd heard Link had been by recently. It was hard not to hear about that given how much confusion he spread about the place. Kilton was less conspicuous than Link. When this particular Yiga was traveling, they realized Link had given up on all pretense of normality. Exhibit A was the outlandish outfit he was wearing. The knight helmet didn't match the strange shirt or trousers with glowing plates.

Now, you might ask why the Yiga knew it was Link even from a distance. It was the trying to surf uphill that gave Link away. Link spotted the traveler from a distance and changed course slightly to head towards this Yiga. Ms. Yiga, in her mind, ran through different witty things to say before killing him. Mostly, the chaotic thought processes in her head were similar to a soloist with stage fright. Some coherent thought did go through this particular Yiga's head after a moment.

Ohmygoshhe'scoming! Oh, I know, I'll say 'I'll return you to the ground from whence you crawled,' or 'Die again, idiotface!' Oh, what am I thinking, that isn't a proper line for a good assassination. I know, I'll ask him if he's tired of fighting and offer to fix that or...

These thoughts were interrupted by a cheerful, "Hi!" After that greeting, Link started to walk past the person.

The flustered Yiga flubbed her line. "Hey, you heard a ghost story?" She immediately was kicking herself even before Link raised an eyebrow.

"Ghost story?"

"Yeah, wanna hear a ghost story? It's about, ummm..." She kicked herself for yet another line being utterly butchered.

"I know there's ghosts about me. They're helping!"

The Yiga momentarily forgot where she was going. "...Come again?"

Link was being completely sincere. He was wondering how she knew this. "I have ghosts! How did you know?"

"Are you trying to freak me out? It isn't going to work, um, I'll tell you a ghost story! You!" The Yiga groaned to herself as Link tilted his head again. "Wait, that didn't sound right. I'm going to just kill you now, and tell everyone I said something cool."" She adopted the ninja attack pose and transformed. Link nodded to no one in particular, at least, not anyone the Yiga could see.

Link didn't take his hands off his hips but watched as an invisible force latched onto the Yiga's leg. She screamed as she felt teeth digging into her ankle. She kicked back before the unseen assailant dragged her backwards. She tried to stand but a four legged furry thing slammed onto her back and pinned her.

"I told you, ghosts helping."

She escaped in a puff of smoke with the feeling that maybe, just maybe, they should consider packing up and moving to another country.

--------------------

Link, and Link, looked at the hanging flags above them and knew they had messed up with the directions. North and South had not changed much in the verbal lexicon even after thousands of years. It could have been they flat out misheard when eavesdropping. It was equally likely that a malicious party had deliberately pointed them in the wrong direction earlier. It was a disappointment after having used up nearly all their cooling and warming foods to get here. Link had tied the ice rod to the other Link's back and thanked Farore he didn't have Epona. The grassland was a much better place to be a horse.