Chapter 30

Trigger warnings: Swearing/Blood/Violence/Death/Sex/Alcohol ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"They're counting on you..."

Ruby's anger grew the more Lucian's words whispered in the back of her mind. She paced the floor of her home trying to figure out what her next course of action would be. She cursed each time she turned and continued to pace. It was a trap, she knew it was. And yet, she wanted, needed, had to go. For them.

Reid and Nikky were the only families Ruby had known after leaving her Aunt's care. Not that she received much care in that home. Ruby had been taught to fend for herself. Had it not have been for Kai's occasional assistance, which she could have done without, she might have left sooner. Shaking her head, she put the past behind her.

With Naomi gone and Kai in the hospital, there was no one else to stop her from going to Lucian and getting her family back. Turning once more she paused. Wonho stood leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. His eyes stayed glued to a spot on the wall but Ruby knew he, too was deep in thought.

There was no way Wonho would let her go anywhere near Lucian. Something told Ruby that the two of them might have had history. The question was, would he let her go if he knew how important her friends were to her?

Staring blankly at him, her mind buzzed with questions and thoughts of what she could do. Each led to a similar outcome. Wonho would stop her. Ruby let out a soft groan in frustration and continued to pace.

"You'll wear a hole in the floor the more you keep pacing," Wonho said softly.

"I know," Ruby blurted, "I can't just sit idly, knowing that asshole has Nikky and Reid. I have to go..."

"You will," Wonho replied.

Ruby stopped in mid-step. His words clung to her heart making it race with anticipation. He was going to let her go. There had to be a catch.

"Just not right this second," Wonho continued, "He's expecting you at the gardens at midnight. That gives you a little more than 7 hours to plan your strategy. You do have one right?"

"Sure," Ruby lied.

"You can't barge in like a bat through hell," Wonho argued, "Lucian is smart. He's probably had this planned for a while.

"Then what?" Ruby barked, "He's definitely not expecting what I can do."

"He might though," Wonho replied and took a step toward her.

Ruby let out a gentle breath as Wonho placed his hands on her shoulders.

"You know him, don't you?" Ruby asked.

"Vaguely," Wonho replied, "I know the name. It's been around for years, most of us thought nothing of him. He was just mad with hunger. He's the one who..."

His voice trailed off as his hands reached down to her stomach. His cold touch startled her and she stepped back in shock. Every time he touched her, she felt an uncontrollable urge to rip everything off of him. Now was not the time for that, she thought as she shook her head. Meeting his eyes, she found it hard to look away.

There was protection written in them, in those dark alluring eyes she found herself trapped in her thoughts once more. Her hands moved on their own as they gently caressed his and remained there. Ruby felt her heart skip when she stepped closer and placed her head under his chin.

She was lost. She had no idea what was in store for her. She needed this moment, this calm and quiet moment to collect herself. When she felt Wonho's arms around her, she took a breath. She couldn't tell her shivers were from his coolness or if it was her fear finally settling in. It might have been a bit of both. As long as he held her she was sure she'd be okay.