Chapter 7

Chapter 7

~Zoie~

Mark found me when I woke up. He said that Tillie hasn't woken up yet, but he also says she's missing, or she's dead. I didn't know him, but he said he was a friend of Tillie's so I trusted him. We went back to his camp, a stone structure built into the mountain it was nestled into surrounded by tents, fires, and people. He'd let me stay in the building, but I rarely left my room. Someone brought up food for me every now and then, usually meat with potatoes and a bun. One day, when I had finished what I assumed to be breakfast, I wandered downstairs, when I heard screams coming from behind a wall. A door was left open, and it showed to a staircase that spiralled down into a long hall lined with metal walls and thick doors. The third of those doors on the left was opened slightly, and I stepped into the door frame and saw a boy strapped against the wall by his wrists and ankles, Thomas, one of Mark's friends, sitting on a metal stool with a jagged knife in his hand. The one tied up looked over Thomas' shoulder and rasped "Zoie?"

Thomas whipped around "Don't listen to him"

"Tillie's awake, she's looking for you, has been since she woke up."

Thomas snarled "He's lying, he isn't in the right mind, he's been here for hours"

"Is she really alive?" I asked the tied up boy, ignore Thomas,

"Look at my chest, can you see the emblem? She is wearing the same one"

With that Thomas whirled and slit his throat. Then slashed the emblem. The image of a golden tree burning in my memory. Soon Mark had appeared behind me. The two guards he brought everywhere grabbed my arms.

"Let go of me!" I cried, kicking

"No"

The conviction in the way he said it rattled my bones.

No.

"Why" I choked out, gasping down air.

"Tillie destroyed my life, so I figure I can use you to destroy her."

"What are you going to do to me."

"Let's say when you and Tillie meet again, she'll be one her knees begging while you kill her," he

"I would never hurt her."

"You would if you forgot about her, about what she means to you"

The guards dragged me farther down the hall, down more stairs, deeper into the mountain, until we reached a hall lit by a single light, with a thick pair of metal doors leading to a room with a strange device in it. They slammed me against a table, attaching a metal dome around my head. Machines turned on around the room, and my voice was hoarse from screaming.

"You said you were a friend of Tillie"

"Please," He scoffed, flipping switches beside my head "That bitch would sooner bury me alive than admit she made a mistake," Mark said flipping the last switch, turning and stalking out the do