Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Zoie

I didn't struggle when Mark shoved me in the cart. Or when he told me to kill the bird with the shadows.

I didn't question the order he gave me. Or why we were going to war.

All I knew was the chain around my wrists was tied to the wagon, and the shadows didn't like the metal.

Then the battle started, and the chains came off, the shadows dancing.

She's here, see how she kills those who did her wrong.

I didn't need to ask who they were talking about. I saw her myself. Flying high above the battle below was a girl, winged and horned, her braid whipping behind her as she carried something up. The power she threw it down with was breathtaking, and I took an unconscious step toward her as she roared.

"Remember, take the one that burns. Take the Demon." Mark murmured into my ear as he walked back into the trees.

I nodded, the shadows protesting as I threw that strange power at her, drawing her close.

Firefly will find what she's looking for, but can she pay the price?

I watched as the Demon turned. Watched as her wings quivered ever so slightly.

I flew to the sky, opening the feathered wings as she shook harder.

She's coming, she's coming for her prize.

The shadows were buzzing in my ear, making it hard to focus. I used more of that strange power first striking her leg, then her face and arms. Small cuts covered where I hit, but she flew closer. Closer still, until I could see the details of her armour and helmet, her lips parted, as if there were things she couldn't say.

This is her, Firefly. The one destined to burn, to rule this pitiful world. She's found what she holds dearest, and all her fire's gone. Yet she still burns to hold it close. Can you feel it, the heat radiating off her? It smells like smoke. It tastes like ash. If you listen you can hear the crackle of flame. You can see it in her eyes, the fire and brimstone.

We landed the echo of the battle small in the trees. She walked towards me, stumbling as if it hurt not to run. Ripping off her helmet and throwing it onto the ground.

"Zoie?" She whispered, voice hoarse, stopping when I nodded.

She ran into my arms, breathing heavy.

"I thought I lost you. When I heard you were a Wraith, I was so worried." She was choking now, holding back tears.

But she did lose you, didn't she? You're not hers anymore.

I must've said my answer out loud, because she looked at me, and stepped back.

"He still has you. Doesn't he."

I didn't respond, just sent that power around her to force her to her knees. As I bound her wings and limbs, gagging her with darkness. Mark must have walked behind me, because she started fighting against the darkness wrapped around her, screaming through the gag.

"You're right Tillie. I still have her." He said, grabbing her chin

Can you see it, the light going out in her eyes? She's remembering, remembering something he did to her, something bad.

Firefly, or rather, Tillie, had a vacant look in her eyes as if she had blocked out the world.

When I loaded her onto the wagon, she had the same look. The same look as we got to the Fortress. The same look as she was tied up by her arms in one of the dungeons.