Chapter 14

Chapter 14

~Kirklyn~

I hated this. I was holding Tillie in my arms while she cried. When her knees gave out and her face crinkled, I jolted forward to grab her. She gripped onto my shirt, muttering and occasionally whimpering while she sobbed. I hated how I couldn't stop the pain that she was feeling. I hated how I couldn't just bring Zoie to her. I hated how I couldn't have stopped the Island from happening.

John walked up to me and told me where her room was. How could he be so calm while his friend was sobbing so hard? I rose to my feet and carried her down the long hall, her shaking sobs the only sound. The guards outside her door gave her pitiful glances, but they opened the door.

I was shocked when I stepped into her room. It was huge. A desk lay against a large window, with couches and a bookshelf around a fireplace on the wall across from a four-poster bed. The bed was big enough for two people to sleep on, and I suppose she intended to have Zoie with her. I tried to put her down, but she gripped my shirt.

"Please stay"

"I don't think-"

"Please." Her shaky voice broke my heart. I wanted to kill Mark for doing this to her, but she deserved the killing blow. I didn't understand why the world could be so cruel to someone who has done nothing but suffers.

I walked to the other side and laid on top of the covers. As soon and I let out a breath Tillie opened her eyes and started crying again. Her tears were silent as they streamed down the side of her cheek,

"It hurts so much knowing that I could have her back if I just told her about him. If I just stopped and said what he did, she would be here."

She stroked the sheets between us, blinking the tears from her eyes.

I thought about what to say. I wanted to ask her what Mark did, but I could feel that her heart wouldn't be able to relive it.

"Tillie. You don't know everything about what happened."

She sat up on one elbow, staring down at me

"What?"

"The reason we couldn't bring her back, its because she shot at us. Even after we said your name, she wouldn't stop until Mark said so. Raven, the spy, they barely made it back. Mark is controlling her."

Tillie flopped onto her back and chuckled darkly "Just like a puppet."

We lay in silence for a while, until I felt Tillie shift around and get up.

"I'm sorry, but I can't just sit around while people I care about get hurt."

"You shouldn't go alone"

She looked at me. Then back out the door.

"I can't get there without wings. I'm going with Zain and Raven. Your job is to stay here and make sure we aren't followed."

"But-"

"As your second in command, I order you to stay here and make sure we aren't followed," he voice was harsh, and it scared me, she'd never used that voice on me "Now get up, if you're found in my bed, people will get ideas"