Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Tillie

As Zoie and I were lead to the medical bay, we ran into Fawn and Alexander, talking in serious voices, until the wolf Fawn brought everywhere barked, wagging its tail at us.

"Lady Tillie, you're alive!" Alexander said, bowing at us, Fawn following suit,

"Barely, but yes." I said, still holding Zoies hand, "Thank you for helping during my absence."

"Is this Lady Zoie?" Fawn asked, the wolf coming to sniff her hand, rubbing against her leg,

"Yes, and I'll host another Gathering soon so you can all properly meet, but we need to head to the medical bay."

We bowed as we left, I felt bad for how shallow mine was, but I felt the stitches stretch. When we got to the bay, the nurses that had taken care of Kirklyn examined my back, my face, anywhere they saw blood they checked. They slowly undid the stitches Kirklyn had sewn, then placed their hands on my back. I could feel the warm touch of their powers pooling into the aching gashes, all that was left were three scars trailing down my back, it looked like an animal had clawed at my back with a paw. They healed the bruises littering my stomach, finishing the ones on my arms, face, and legs.

"Milady, I don't know if you know this, but Wraiths can transfer images and memories if the Wraith holds the others head," one of the nurses said, after finishing cleaning up the medical supplies.

I saw Zoie look at me when she said that, nodding, it would be easier than telling her what happened.

The nurses left, turning off the lights so we could rest, but I used my powers to light the candles on mine and Zoies nightstand, beacons in the dark.

I saw her get up and move over so she was sitting on the end of my bed.

"What do you want to see first?" I asked weakly, scared to show her, even though I said no more secrets.

"I want you to tell me why everyone calls you Lady, and why people bow to you."

"I'm the Lady of the Palace, and so are you." I said, lightly pressing my finger onto her chest, "And if Poma keeps her word, we'll be Queen's."

I watched her mouth the word, her eyes wide before she shook her head.

"I want to see everything you're willing to show me," she said, and I pulled her hands to my head, placing them on either side, between my ears and horns.

"Tillie," she said, looking into my eyes, "I love you, no matter your past. You don't have to show me anything you don't want to, I can wait until you're ready."

I nodded, I felt her power swirl as I closed my eyes, our heads pressed together.

First, not the bedroom, but the middle school dance. We never found the boy who did it, but my dad was furious, he thought the school never tried.

Next, my uncle teaching how to defend myself, giving me escape with throwing knives and a punching bag.

My mom taught me how to sew, my aunt taking me to the movies. Keeping me distracted.

Highschool. I saw Zoie for the first time, making me question everything I knew about myself. We became quick friends, it was us and John, blissfully unaware of the future.

The party at the end of tenth grade, I didn't go with Zoie, but rather a boy who'd worked up the courage to ask me.

The bedroom, the images more blurry than the others, and I had the vague feeling of Zoie gasping as I showed her everything that happened, from Mark to Thomas to the last two.

I showed her the twins finding me, Zian calling an ambulance in the doorway, the drug still keeping me still, the boys made me drink another glass so they could all finish.

The ambulance ride, paramedics searching for an ID or a phone on me, Tina and Hanna riding with me.

I showed her the hospital room, where I had to get my stomach pumped to get the drugs out, and the doctors checking for evidence of what they did.

My mom running into the room, tears streaming down her face, my dad's face bright red. Police officers questioning Tina and Hanna, until I was able to talk and move again. Then they questioned me.

I stayed there for a week, walking out with a bottle of antidepressants and no intention of going back to school.

I showed her the first days back home. Sitting in my room and staring out the window, completely closed off to the world.

The courtroom happened next week, my mom helped me brush my hair in front of the mirror. The goal was to look innocent, but I felt filthy.

The courtroom, the garden, things she was there for.

"Tillie"

The attack on the students, the panic as Olivia was stabbed.

I failed.

I was supposed to protect them.

"Tillie!"

My eyes snapped open, tears lining Zoies eyes as her hand drew away. My arms hurt, and I didn't realize why until I looked at my claws buried in the skin.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, peeling my hands away from where they gripped my skin.

"There is nothing to apologize for, Firefly. I told you, I love you, no matter your past."

"Why are you so good to me? I don't deserve you." I said, tears starting to cloud my vision,

"You used to say the world was nothing but cruel to you, that you must be cursed." She stroked my hair, pulling me close, "You didn't deserve the things that happened to you, but every ounce of me is yours. I'm in love with you, Tillie Murphy, and nothing could pull you from me."

She pulled us down so we were lying on our side, facing each other. Tucking a stray hair behind my ear, she kissed my head, and I pulled myself into her, sighing.

I felt my eyes flutter closed, Zoie staying in my bed, and I fell asleep.

The next morning we were allowed to head to our own room, and I lead Zoie down the halls, opening the doors to hear a smattering of applause.

"Welcome back, Milady," Ava said, her hands pressed together, the other maids smiling widely "you must be Lady Zoie," she bowed "My name is Ava, I'm the head maid. Whatever you need, I'll try to provide."

"Thank you, Ava," Zoie said, nodding once, "if you could just bring some food, that would be wonderful"

She was handling everything so well, holding herself high and speaking so calmly.

The maids all curtseys and left, leaving us alone, so I pulled her to the bed, sitting down and looking at her as she looked around the room, then back at me,

"I'm guessing this is our room, to share." She whispered the last part, gripping my hand tighter,

"If you don't like it, we could change some things around, I'm sure there's someone in town who could-"

I felt her lips smack into my, cinnamon flooding my senses, her hands running through my hair as we kissed, as my fingers started moving to her wings, she pulled away, she looked upset

"We've done this before,"

"Zoie,"

"When I was under his control, he made me use you, didn't he?"

"He did." I looked down, feeling terrible for forgetting,

"Show me."

"What?"

"I said show me. You told me no more secrets."

I sighed, bringing her hand to my head, closing my eyes and bringing up the memory.