Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Tina

How could she possibly sleep so much? Tillie had slept for three days while her wings grew, and now she was sleeping again. Hanna, of course, came up with theories, but all of them were pointless. Why would John put her as second in command, why would he pass on his leadership to her? She was volatile, never telling anybody her plans, and she had a one-track mind. Getting Zoie back. She barely made any progress in the paperwork yesterday.

"Tina? What do you think?" Hanna asked, a fist under her chin

"About what?" I asked my sister, who had completely forgotten about the papers in front of her.

"Didn't the Demon back home have horns? Maybe that's why she's asleep again, to grow those."

"Zain didn't sleep to get his wings, I don't see why she has to"

"Maybe it's different for her, Zain can make his come and go. It looked like Tillie's were pretty permanent."

I glared at my sister as she stared out the window, daydreaming instead of doing the work she had to do.

"Hanna, we have work to do, can you please focus."

Hanna opened her mouth to retaliate, but the doors opened and Tillie walked into the kitchen where we were working, clearly not noticing us. Another flaw, she was self-centred. She grabbed an apple of the counter and turned around, dark circles under her shut eyes as she slid down the counter, taking a bite.

Unfortunately, Hanna was right, she had grown horns. Long, curved ones that stretched behind her. The ebony shone in the dull light of the room. My sister slowly got out of her chair and walked over to the monster sitting on the kitchen floor.

"Tillie? Are you doing okay?"

Her eyes opened, and a sad smile grew on her face.

"I'm fine, just tired. Which is ridiculous considering how much I've been sleeping."

I didn't see it, but Hanna clearly noticed something

"Could you open your mouth? I thought I saw-"

She gasped lightly "Fangs."

Tillie ran her tongue over her teeth and shrugged. "Now all I need is a pitchfork and I'm the devil incarnate"

Hanna and Tillie chuckled as they stood up, walking over to me.

"What did I miss?" She said, finishing the apple,

I plastered a small smile on my face "Absolutely nothing. No skirmishes, battles or bar fights. You only slept for a couple of days, but Kirklyn is out of the medical bay. He's doing some work in his room. Which is what my sister should be doing right now."

Tillie smirked at me and patted Hanna on the shoulder before she left, chucking her apple in the garbage.

"What's wrong," Hanna asked, clearly sensing my annoyance

"I just have a lot of work to do."