Chapter 16

Chapter 16

~Zoie~

I wrote the note quickly, shoving it under a rock before Mark and I left the camp. He erased Tillie when he got back from wherever he went. I could still taste her when I went under, smoke and flame dancing on my tongue. I found it odd, she wasn't Gifted when I saw her.

We walked through a tight mountain pass, Mark running his mouth off while we marched back to the Fortress. I dreaded the thought of being shoved back into my cold, dark cell. And the experiments of tomorrow. Maybe he'd just forget about the machine, or maybe he would forget about resetting the device.

I knew all this wishing wouldn't help me, but I prayed anyway. I prayed that he wouldn't notice the ebony bird following us through the mountain, or he wouldn't notice how I kept dragging a finger over my lips.

We got back and sure enough, he dragged me down to the room I had learned to hate. The cold metal table, the wires, the machines. All things that I had learned to f

Strapping me in, Mark hovered while others pressed buttons. A mask was placed on my face, and I stopped seeing clearly, my hearing turned jumbled, and the last thing I saw was a shadow flooding the room and an agonizing pain blasted my back.