Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Zoie

I stood there, watching Mark as he planned his next attack. Every so often my neck would feel a twinge of pain. But it was nothing compared to the pain my back felt. Feathered wings had appeared two days ago. After three days of sleep. Three days of waiting for the voice. I heard it whisper once, but it was too quiet for me to hear.

The fight Mark was planning was big. Bigger than anything he'd planned before. And I was his secret weapon. He'd smiled when I got the wings, smiled more when the shadows came. They talked to me, whispering in my ear when I was locked in my room. The shadows were my only way to see the world. And my only friends.

She's still looking, she's close to finding you, the shadows would say when I was close to losing hope. They called her Firefly.

When it was dark and quiet in my room, and I was drifting off to sleep, I would talk back to them

"Whats Firefly doing now?"

Searching, she's always searching

"For what, why is she always searching?"

She lost the thing she holds closest to her heart

"She should've held it closer"

She couldn't if she tried

But now, in the meeting room, they were quite, watching Mark as well. The sun was setting, and I could feel the guards shuffling closer to me. Just like clockwork, as soon as the sun dissapeared they took me away.

"Take her to her room," Mark said, his eyes not leaving the map in front of him.

I was thrown into my room, but I knew I wouldn't sleep tonight.

"Is Firefly close?"

Closer than she knows

"Can you tell me about her?'

The Shadows were silent for a minute, thinking, if creatures of darkness could think.

She's a lost Queen, searching for something so dear to her, she dies every day she doesn't have it. She's a star that is constantly burning, and she'll burn until she finds what she's searching for. She's friends with birds and ice. And talks to the sky when she misses her home. Her fate is to rule over the world. Firefly will burn as bright as the sun, given the chance.

I was surprised to feel my lips pull into a small smile.

"Then I will give her that chance"