Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Tillie

The farmers farther from the wall had noticed smoke on the horizon by the end of the week. We were running out of time. Poma and her people just arrived, Isabelle with them. Traders were taking shelter in the town, sharing what supplies the had with our soldiers. Our armour arrived nearly too late. Mine had to be changed to fit around my wings and horns.

Kirklyn and I stood at the top of a hill looking over the army camp, where our tents had been set up. By the time the sun rose, we would be marching to a battlefield, far enough away that Centerville wouldn't be attacked, but close enough we wouldn't be exhausted when we got there.

I felt my friends stand beside me, Hanna and Tina hand in hand with their brother, while Kirklyn and Issac stood looking over to the billowing smoke, which was nearing the camp at an alarming rate.

My hand felt empty as I clenched and unclenched my fist. We stood there, silent, all of us hoping the casualties were minimal. I sighed and turned back to my tent, reviewing the battle plans we had come up with. My cot lying against the wall, a weapon rack and armour stand close at hand. Five minutes had passed before Kirklyn pushed into my tent, armed to the teeth.

"So," I asked, calling back to a conversation we had had while setting up our tents, "any visions?"

He shook his head, sitting on the edge off my bed, "Not a single one, everything's coming up empty."

"A vision would help us right about now."

"What about you, any dreams?" He said as I sat beside him, turning so I was facing him,

"No. They aren't dreams, I'm not even sure if good dreams exist anymore."

We sat in silence, thinking until Issac pushed snack the tent flap,

"You have to see this."

We stood at the same time, rushing to get outside.

The river under the bridge was crowded with boats, painted green and blue, sailing to the docks. Using a spyglass, I saw Georgia and Kalian at the helm of the two largest. Georgia's boat, The Reckoning, painted blue, was stopped just past the bridge, with Kalian's green boat, Lady Lake, besides it. What surprised me more was Fawn and Alexander walking down with crates, barrels and carts behind them. Horses were pulled from ships, carrying supplies out with them. Men and women armed with weapons joined the army camp at the foot of the hill, scholars writing out events and helping organize the newly added soldiers. Alexander, Fawn, Kalian, and Georgia marched up the hill, joined by Poma and Jasper halfway. Alexander was unarmed excluding the small dagger at his side, wearing a deep purple tunic embroidered with silver thread. Fawn had a scythe tied at her hip, with a thick barbed staff at her back, and had forgone her dress for a shirt and trousers. Kalian and Georgia had matching cutlasses, two each, crisscrossed at the back. They were wearing similar outfits to the ones they wore at the gathering, the only exception was the length in their jackets, which sweep behind them. Poma and Jasper were the most armed, and more armoured. Jasper had a metal helmet under his arm, which was covered in leather and metal. The rest of his body was also covered in the same manner of protection. He had an axe at his hip and broadsword on his back. Poma has covered head to toe in metal armour, with two long daggers at her sides and two broadswords strapped across her back.

"What's all this?" I asked, smiling

"We stand with you. Through this and anything." Fawn said, getting down on one knee, the others following suit.

"Ai. You brought us together, we'll help you with your battle's. Through this and anything." Kalian agreed, smirking.

The others spoke the same thing. Through this and anything echoing over the hill.

Extra tents were erected, and we planned in my tent until only Isabelle and me were left, the others already in their tents.

"She's on the battlefield. Isn't she?" I asked, standing above the map, hands behind my back

"I can sense her, but it's weak," The Wraith said, leaning against the back of the stool. Every piece of furniture was designed for wings. "She's not on the front lines if that's what you asking."

I exhaled sharply, tasting fire and ash on my tongue as I did.

It was early when the gong started. Clanging through the camp. I pushed open my tent flap, spotting Kirklyn, Kalian and Georgia, banging the gong and pots together.

"What's going on?" I shouted, blinking out the early morning light.

Kirklyn pointed to the horizon, sweat beading his brow, where the enemies were showing through the trees.

"We have to wake everyone up!" I said, running into Isabelle's tent to wake her, only to find Zain there with her.

Great.

"Wake up you idiots! They've broken through the trees!"

They scrambled to put on their armour, and I put on mine. We flew through the camp, waking soldiers as we went.

It was pandemonium.

Soldiers rushed to get armour on, and we barely had time before I stood on the hill again, armour gleaming under the sun. Hanna, Tina and Alexander we're staying behind to help when bodies came in, Poma already on the front lines with Kirklyn and Issac, forming a shield wall. Kalian and Georgia on horseback, ready to charge. Jasper and Fawn with the archers, and Zain, Isabelle and I in the air.

The first shout, Fawn voice echoing

"Archers!" The groan of a hundred bows being drawn. Poma's yelled for shields, and the wall was up.

"Fire!"

Now it was my turn.

I lit every one of those arrows so they came down burning.

Then all hell broke loose.

The flaming arrows hit their targets, not the enemy, but small bombs we'd placed in the field the night before. Our enemy launched arrows that bounced off the shields and were blasted back by Isabelle's shadows. We swooped down together, splitting off, with Zain to the left, Isabelle to the right, and I was in the center.

I drew my sword and cut through dozens, kicking the enemy off their horses and burning their arrows before they could fire.

Zip.

A bolt flew past my shoulder, nearly hitting my wing. I looked to where the bolt came from and saw one of Mark's goons, Thomas, sitting on a horse, aiming a crossbow at me. I flew toward him, just as Poma yelled charge, releasing her soldiers and the calvary. As our army's merged, I landed, sprinting towards Thomas, claws out.

One.

I flapped my wings once.

Two.

I was in the air, hurtling for him.

Three.

My claws were dragging him through the mud.

Four.

I flew up.

Five.

I threw him in the air.

Six.

He fell.

Seven.

His body hit the ground with a sickening crack, then he was trampled by his own horse.

Seven seconds. Each second for each minute of hell he gave me.