Chapter 8: Terry

The next evening, Terry knocked twice and walked into Ethan's office, heading straight to the bar in the back room.

"What are you doing here?" Ethan was stretched out on the couch watching the Club through the monitors. "Do you need a room or something?"

"No. Why would you ask that?" He grabbed the scotch and poured himself a drink.

Ethan held his brandy snifter up for a refill. "Because you found a sub last night."

Terry filled Ethan's glass before plopping his large frame onto one of the big chairs. "Hardly."

"What happened?" Ethan sat up.

"Besides you interrupting?" He was still a little pissed about that. Ethan could've stepped inside and discreetly left. The bastard had probably wanted to join.

"Sorry. I didn't think you'd be making a move."

"Oh? Why?" She wasn't exactly his type but he'd made it clear that he was interested in her.

"She'd almost been raped."

"Oh. Yeah. That." He took a sip of his drink. "You know what they say. When you fall off a bike, it's best to get right back on."

"You're an ass." Ethan laughed.

Terry chuckled. "Never said I wasn't."

"So, what happened?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Really? You struck out?" Ethan grinned.

"For now." He had no intentions of letting his little rabbit get away for good.

"You're going after her?" Ethan studied him. "I haven't seen you chase a woman in years."

"And you won't this time either." He did not pursue women.

"Then, you don't want her?"

"I do, but she'll come to me." He wasn't sure how he'd accomplish that, but a little peek into her life and he'd find some way he could assist her besides in the bedroom.

"Really? What are you going to do? Sue her for something?"

"If I have to." He smiled.

"Hmm."

"Don't start. I'm telling you, she wants me."

"She just doesn't know it." Ethan rolled his eyes. "Now, you sound like Nick did."

"Don't ever say that." He tried to keep a straight face but failed. He and Nick always bickered but the young guy was like a somewhat estranged brother to him. "And this is different because she knows she wants me, but she's scared."

"Good instincts, that one."

"Fuck you."

The phone rang and Ethan answered it. "Who?" He smirked at Terry. "Send her up."

"Who's here?" Terry was nervous. Ethan had that same look in of victory in his eyes as when he'd bet on something with bad odds and won.

"You'll see." Ethan stood and made a production of straightening his clothes and hair.

"Who is it, the fucking Queen or something?" He didn't like this. As a lawyer, he wanted to know the answers before the questions were asked.

There was a knock on the door. Ethan strode over and opened it. "Come in."

Terry followed him out of the back room and almost groaned. It was Maggie. She was dressed in her Outback uniform and she looked delicious with the black pants and white button-down shirt. He wanted to unbutton it and kiss that soft skin until he found her breasts. They'd be warm and smooth, softer than satin, and her nipples would be succulent.