My Will

Jareth widened his eyes in astonishment.

"Well, daddy. It's good to see you again," Sarah spat.

"Sarah? Is... Is that you?"

Pure hatred glowed in her eyes.

"I have to thank Jareth for rescuing me from you," she snarled. Jareth was utterly shocked, but hid it well.

"I'm your father, and I know what's best for you!" Robert's words were very hard to discern.

"Like what? Feeling my body? Beating me? Cutting me?" Robert took a step back. "I slipped away into my world of fantasy because of you!" The absolute certainty of her words sent shivers down Robert's back. "Give me the child."

"No, Sarah, stop!" He cried out, and the young girl didn't even flinch. Her black clothing looked almost evil in the dim light.

"Through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way to the Castle Beyond the Goblin City. I can assure you that I was not stolen."

"Sarah, calm down!" Her father wailed, but his attempt to pacify his daughter only seemed to infuriate her further.

"My will is stronger than yours. Your kingdom is fallen!" Out of her hand appeared an ebony dagger, glimmering in the moonlight.

"Sarah, stop it!" Robert fell backwards onto the dresser after trying to stand. Toby clapped and gurgled while Jareth watched. Sarah raised the knife, and beads of sweat appeared on her father's forehead.

"You have no power over me!" She swung the blade.

Robert stopped talking.