Chapter Three:

Finally! I've had this saved as a draft FOREVAR!

Happy readings! I hope you like!

Haha, I love this story so much ^.^

<3

Oh, wait. Crap. There's Spanish in this one too:

¡Maldita sea! : Damn it!

¿Sabes qué? : You know what?

pedazo de basura! : piece of garbage!

ENJOY! ^.^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER THREE: Confrontation mission:

I stand there in front of Chase, arms crosses against my chest. I eye him skeptically as he sits on my couch, a guilty expression on his face. I sigh. Poor kid. I guess it isn't his fault.

As far as I know, that is.

I sit down next to him. "What do you want? I saw the file."

Chase smirks. "What? No 'long time no see' greeting? Not even a welcoming kiss? Well, I missed you, too, babe--"

"Chase. . . " I warn, gritting my teeth.

He sighs, and foreigns a hurt look. Then, his face immediately falls. Chase turns his body to face me, his eyes wide. "You're a lawyer, right? You can help me, right?"

I nod my head slowly, averting my gaze. "Yeah, but what do you want me to do?"

"The FBI or something thinks I'm working with the drug cartel. . . "

I nod, hoping for him to continue. "And . . . ?"

Chase sighs and closes his eyes for a moment, pinching the bridge of his nose. He opens them up again, and throws his hands up in the air. "Nikki, don't you see? I'm basically on the FBI's most wanted right now!"

Oh. Wow. My eyes widen to saucers, and my mouth falls open. Chase is in trouble with the FBI?! And he wants me to help him?!

"You. . . Y. . . You want me to help you?! Chase, I'm just a law--"

Chase cuts me off. "And one of the best newbies they've ever seen. Not to mention, you know how you wanted to be a detective? Well, here's your chance. We might need some detective work."

My face reddens at the mention of my "supposed fame". "Wait, how did you know I wanted to be a detective?"

Chase smirks. "I make my rounds."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

He shrugs. "Mm, who knows?"

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

Chase leans forward slightly. "Listen," he looks away. "I hate to bring you into this mess, but you're the only lawyer I know." his gaze travels up my body to mine, making me remember I'm in my lounge wear. My cheeks turn pink a little. "Please?"

I squirm in my seat, bashfully stuffing myself back into the couch. "I don't know. . . "

"Please?! Don't make me beg." Chase pouts, a puppy-dog face glowing on his features.

I can't help it. I burst out laughing. Chase looks surprised and jerks away, a hurt look on his face. "I'm sorry." I laugh. "But, that was so pathetic."

A boyish grin emerges on his face. He laughs airily, scratching the back of his head. "Heh, yeah, I know." he lifts his hands up. "But, hey, it was worth a try."