Madness (XXXVIII)

On the other side of the grassy field, Golf Ball and Tennis Ball freed themselves from the snowfall that had covered the Organization. The two orbs stood back up unscathed, with the biggest damage being that Tennis Ball was now wet. "Well, that was a disappointment!" Golf Ball was already feeling humiliated by the turn of events, but the fact that she had forgotten about a vital detail like the recoil made her defeat all the more embarrassing. "TB, you know what that means!" She nuzzled Tennis Ball's dampened flank.

"Back to the drawing board!" Tennis Ball sighed. "And drying my fuzz." He shook whatever was left of the snow off himself.

The Organization went to Golf Ball's lab, where Golf Ball corrected the blueprint for the giant robot. "Remote! You know how to implement the changes, right?"

"Well..." Remote knew that she was more than capable of doing what Golf Ball had asked her to do, but she wasn't sure if it was worth violating her team's death prevention clause.

"Right?" Golf Ball just wanted to get this over with.

Remote sighed. "Fine, let's do this!" She opened up a code file and edited it, adding a condition to soften the recoil and improve stability.

Golf Ball watched in awe as Remote typed. "How'd you learn programming?"

"I started learning it when I was still in swaddling clothes." Remote saved the file and recompiled it. "There we go!"

Golf Ball went back inside the robot and activated it. "Thanks, Remote!"

La Familia heard the deep thumps from the robot once more. "Uh oh! Looks like the bot's back in action!" Pen was worried, as he couldn't think of another flaw in the construction of that gigantic device which they could exploit.

Blocky, who was still calm, took out an ion cannon. "Not for long!" He simpered.

"What's that?" Eraser looked at the cannon Blocky was holding.

"It's an ion cannon!" Blocky grinned. "This beaut can disrupt the signals to and from the robot, making it go bonkers!"

Golf Ball reached La Familia for a second round of beating. She activated the Gatling guns, creating several holes in the ground.

Blocky was not scared of the bullets, even though they were pretty close to where he was standing. He wasted little time in activating the ion cannon. "Better luck next time!" He pulled the trigger; the cannon started making a high-pitched noise.

A wave of light coming from the cannon hit the robot. "Oh, please!" Golf Ball shook her head in contempt. "You think a cheesy flashlight will do anything?" She moved the joystick to make the robot walk forward, but it did nothing. "Wait, what?" She pushed the joystick further, thinking that the joystick was suffering from bad contacts somewhere. "Come on!" She pressed some buttons, hoping that the bot would start working again; much to her anger, it didn't. Golf Ball was losing her patience. "Ugh! Come on, you stupid robot!" She started rocking the joystick in rage. "What's the matter now?" Unable to keep her anger in check, she slammed some buttons. As soon as Blocky let the trigger in his ion cannon go and the ray of light faded away, the robot started working again. "Yes!" Golf Ball's moment of joy, however, was short-lived, as the many commands she had input out of frustration before were executed in a very short time span; she was thus taken off her seat by gravity as the robot started jerking. The sudden moves meant that the balance kept by the robot was now precarious; Blocky watched as the robot fell to the ground again, giggling.

Golf Ball was annoyed by the second defeat in a row; she manifested her utter displeasure through acts driven by rage, such as biting the metal panels as if she were a rabid dog.