Circle (XXXIX)

"GB, we cannot go on." Tennis Ball sighed. He and Golf Ball had been discussing whether to continue the holy war against La Familia during breakfast. "The chances of success against Taco's team can be represented with an asymptote."

"Towards infinity!" Giving up was not on Golf Ball's mind. She had to sway Blocky back to her side.

Tennis Ball grabbed his laptop computer and typed a limit: 1/x, with x going towards infinity; he then showed the graphical representation of it. "As the denominator. Defeat would be certain."

"Even with the drill?" Golf Ball was having a hard time resisting the temptation to just grab the Rocket and use it as a drill.

Tennis Ball sighed. "You'll just make everyone angrier by drilling their house."

"We have to restore order, or else–" Golf Ball was ready to defend her crusade, but she was hushed by Tennis Ball, who was starting to lose his patience.

"Perhaps this is the order." Tennis Ball just wanted the conflict to be over.

"No, it's not!" Golf Ball rejected Tennis Ball's suggestion. "Four would never allow this act of treason to go on!"

Tennis Ball rolled his eyes. "How'd you know?" He failed to understand how Four would allow Golf Ball to restore order by letting her plan the destruction of La Familia's house and surrounding buildings. "Think of the aftermath."

"I always think of the consequences of my works, TB."

"Did you do that this time?" Tennis Ball looked about, almost as if he were disgusted by what his partner had become. "People could die as a result of your plan." He sighed. "And that's leaving out the repair costs! They would be through the roof..."

"You think that'll deter me from going ahead?"

"Okay, hear me out." Tennis Ball wanted Golf Ball to understand that her plan just wasn't applicable. "What if you drill the house and kill Blocky in the process?"

Golf Ball thought about it. "That would suck."

"That would mean that you drilled their house for nothing!" Tennis Ball was calculating the bill for the potential chaos caused by Golf Ball. "How would you explain it to the survivors?"

Golf Ball sighed and attempted to focus on another part of the topic. "Okay, at this point I'm sure you don't want Blocky back here." Golf Ball gave Tennis Ball the evil eye. "You don't believe in my cause. You're on the traitors' side!"

Tennis Ball groaned. "Golf Ball, no. I just want Blocky to stay where he's the happiest, even if it means he's not on our side!" With every noise he was making, he could feel his mental well-being deteriorating. "And besides, your cause was flawed from the start."

Golf Ball gasped. "How?" She was stunned to hear such critique from her closest friend.

"Forcing others to be with you is not good behavior. They'll just dislike you, if not straight-up hate you." Tennis Ball looked straight into Golf Ball's eyes. "Think about it! Blocky would much rather stay with someone he considers cool, like Taco, than two nerds like us."

Golf Ball tried to rebuke the point, but she gave up before coming up with anything to say. She thought about how she and Blocky got along, and it was not a pleasant memory. Bringing him back would only bring suffering to herself. "Oh."

Tennis Ball stroked Golf Ball's dimpled body. "For being Golf Ball, you seem to have been pretty unfocused lately."

"That's because I was." Golf Ball admitted that her crusade was ill-conceived from the very beginning. "In the struggle for Dream Island we've gone through, I never thought that teams are nothing but an arbitrary construct mandated by the host for the competition." She pondered over her statement. "But how are we together, then?"