My depression.

1. My depression hates being called that; she makes me feel scared, but I don't know what else to call her.

2. My depression is an inconvenience purely for the hell of it. She shows up when there's things to be done and paralyses me when she's bored.

3. My depression plucks my desires and dreams from my soul like a vigneron looking for the ripest grapes to brew the most exotic wine made from the remnants of my life.

4. My depression makes me question things I was excited for less than a day ago. She fills me with the wine she stirred, like a goddess under the full moon feeding her sacrifice. The wine tastes like ash.

5. My depression offers practical solutions for problems like finishing my homework or making breakfast. She asks me to kill myself. If I did that, I would not have to worry about those things. She is the devil's advocate and makes a convincing case. I tell her it's unreasonable. She tells me there's no reason to anything we do in this world.

6. Depression has a friend she brings home occasionally. Her and anxiety bully me into choking on my food, into staying in bed, into shutting off the entire world and sleeping for entire days. Sometimes, I let them.

7. Depression is always a part of me. I can feel her but she does not always make her presence known. But when she does, she makes my brain heavy and my stomach light. She comes and goes. I wish she would go.

8. Depression laughs at all the energy I had before she showed up. She occasionally lets me taste the same energy just to make me feel her. The higher you climb, the steeper you  fall and she loves pushing me off the cliff.

9. I wonder if everyone who seems sad feels the same way.

10. I look in the mirror and wish with all the life I have left that she would stop existing.