Chapter Twenty-Four: Mama's Visage Isnt Her, That Makes No Sense

KITANA:
    Every heartbeat banged drums in my head. There were drums in my head. Drums that banged a steady beat as I drew nearer to Hiquanna. The air warmed and I sensed Sarah pulling back on her power. Water dripped from the Amphitheater, though even that water was pulled, drawn to Audrey. No other wolves challenged me. No other wolves leapt out of the trees to challenge mee under Hiquanna's bequest. Her bared fangs glinted as I drew closer, every footstep a beat of those powerful drums. I felt the drums in my heart, in my head, in my blood, beating away like in an orchestra. Like that music Sarah loved so much, like the music that drove her to master herself. It felt as if there was my own music, my own drums that pulsed in my mind, in my blood, in the very air, vibrating like one of Leia's thunderstorms. The drums beat, the air shivered, like a female in pleasure. As if on the brink of climax. Hiquanna's face didn't change. There was no overt signal to her wolves, no other signal to challenge me. I had seen the smallest flick of her ear, seen her signal those wolves to attack. To test me. I had known my power was growing, had known that, as a god, my power would grow exponentially. Though, even I had to truly see for myself how strong I was now. As a fighter, I relied more on my fans and swords than my own power, my own telekinesis, my own death, my own shadow traveling. I'd relied more on my gifts as a human, than my powers, as an indigo. Sarah hadn't. She used her ice fans like they were, were, wait. Even she limited herself. There were rare occasions when Sarah would truly let her power go, and truly use it. She'd frozen the ocean, and created great beasts from ice, but since then, she hadn't truly used that power. Audrey hadn't either. Even Leia, who always used that storm power, didn't really use it to it's fullest extent. The only time that I could remember was when her and her brother were found, and they'd created that great hurricane together.
Were we all limiting ourselves? Was it because Huntor and Sydney were so powerful, so prophesied? Was it because they both were so needed, that we by instinct chose to step away? Huntor since day one tried his hardest to involve all of us. Tried his hardest to ensure we all fought if we wanted to. He tried his hardest to ensure we were always there. But was it because of that that we chose to step away. Here I was, taking charge because I was his general. Because, by instinct, it was I who was next after him and Sydney. But, what if we all took charge, all stepped up together so we could be just as powerful as he and Sydney. Remembering how it felt, how young, I felt when I had first met Huntor, after loosing Amala, and seeing the home he'd made. Struggling with my sexuality, struggling with relationships, with my inner self, and knowing, deep down, I was always meant to be his second in command. I felt now, after all that we went through, after it all, we should've stepped up more. Even myself. There were rare occasions when I used my power to it's fullest extent. Lashing out with whips and gusts of death. I hadn't even realized I could make swords out of death until a while ago. Hadn't realized that I could make actual things, boat, suits, weapons. Through the glass bowl, Kendra said nothing, nothing as I ran through my thoughts. As I came to deductions, to conclusions. Instead, she mentally held my hand through it all. Instead, she stuck by me, the support I needed in my head. "I love you." I thought. "I love you too." Said Kendra.
Krede stopped as we reached the steep incline toward the theater. He bowed deeply, and sank to a knee. The two wolves bowed low. None of us bowed. Taking a deep breath, I stared into Hiquanna's eyes. Where once they were violet, they were dark deep brown. Where once her hair was purple, it was as brown as her gaze. No doubt her true hair color. No doubt the first encounter as a test of itself, an artifice, to see if I would be worthy of her attention. Or, if I could prove as a likely weapon, and if not, would I be an adversary to worry about, or possibly fear. The war between us started. The war between two alphas in their own right. Slowly, Hiquanna's power grew, grew, as she exuded her dominance. Grew, as more of her wolves appeared, appeared to watch the show. Winds slightly churned, lifting my hair and Hiquanna's. Silent behind me, Audrey, Reina, Leia, Joy Luna, Amala Kamala, and all the rest stayeed silent, remained still. Though I knew they were ready, ready to fight if needed, ready to lash out if I so much as breathed wrong. Hiquanna's mouth closed slowly, closed, as she realized I wasn't bending to her will. As she exuded her dominance, as her power flowed through the air like venom through the bloodstream. Coiling and undulating like a serpent through the grasses. Sure enough, my exposed skin prickled. The skin along my neck and face, as if tiny spiders skittered along my flesh. I wondered, if I allowed my power, not so much as the power of death, but the strength of it, the scent of it, the sheer volume of it, if I let it rise, yawn awake like a behemoth, would it dwarf her's? Would my power, being a god, dwarf Hiquanna, a werewolf who no doubt lived for centuries?
    As the war between us grew and grew, wolves started twitching, started moving their heads from one to another, wondering what was really going on between us, and why I wasn't falling to my knees, or at least, breaking eye contact. A wolf snarled several paces away. I ignored it, so did Hiquanna. Luna murmured from a few yards behind me, "Wow, Diana you weren't wrong." There was no response. Hiquanna's lips were compressed ever so slightly, the only overt sign of her displeasure. Of her knowing that there was no luculent victor in this litttle battle. Instead, she said, in an authoritative voice, "Kitana, Amala." She spoke that second name with just a hint of malice. "So I see you've come home, at long last." Those final words were more of a purred challenge, just asking for me to deny it. I waited though, showing not just her, but the others that no one commanded me to speak. "I've come," I said. "To speak to your generals about what they've no doubt surmised, is a war on our hands." Silence for a few moments. Then, "My generals do not leave my kingdom without my personal bequest." "If they don't want to live in a world of chaos and anarchy, then they'll do whatever they need to, for the good of the wolves." Hiquanna showed no reaction, no overt reaction. A few more wolves snarled. Anger lit the match, and more wolves began to snarl. Ire began to stream through the huge open area like the venom, pumping hot through the bloodstream. While Hiquanna and I kept up that staring contest. "For a bitch," Said Joy. "She's very very cold." Hiquanna had no reaction, but more wolves snarled in fury. Krede, still kneeling, snarled, "Bow now child." I ignored him. "No." Said Holly. Krede snarled. "I wasn't speaking—"Then get it right." Said Holly, cutting him off irreverently. "She's not a child."
    As Krede turned to Holly, teeth bared, Hiquanna said, "Enough Krede." "Good dog." Holly muttered as Krede obeyed. She came down from the entrance to the theater, her eyes hard on mine. "Krede, assemble the Council Of Elders, and see that these, travelers, are awaiting in our chambers." "Alpha." Krede protested. "See to it." She purred. Krede stiffened, but turned, his onyx eyes lashing menacingly. "If you'd follow me." He turned and started walking away, the two wolves by his side. "See to their lodgings." Hiquanna demanded of another wolf. But before We moved out of sight, Hiquanna said in a sweet venomous purr, "I do recall that I said one day you'd need me, need my armies, need to come home, welcome daughter." We rounded the amphitheater and started into the trees, following a path. The sounds of movement was evident. Wolves bounded, walked, trotted through the trees on either side. There were snarls, howls, barks, as they communicated with each other. Krede lead us down a slight decline and around a bend. Up ahead, a great sprawling building could be seen, lights bright in the near darkness. Two wolves stood on either side of the great doors, which they opened as we approached. Krede lead us up the steps and into a wooden chamber. Oil lamps hung from the ceiling and stood in archaic sconces. There was a great long table that stood in the centerr, chairs lined it's sides and stood at both the head and foot of the table.
    "I guess we won't be asked to sit huh?" Asked Joy. Krede ignored her, instead, gestured we stand by the wall. "That's a yes." Said Luna. "When the elders show up," Said Krede. "You will show them respect. You will bow to them. You speak when spoken to, you will not speak out of turn, wil not speak ill of anyone, will not intercede without acknowledgement." "Is that all?" Derision dripped with every word Joy spoke. Krede slowly stepped toward her, his onyx eyes lashing with fury. Then, he lashed out with a clawed hand. Joy's own hand lashed upward to catch his own. Scarlet light swirled into existence and Krede hissed in agony. Both wolves snarled and advanced swiftly. But Joy dropped Krede's hand. There was a burn mark, deep and painful in the shape of Joy's fingers around Krede's wrist. "Respect is a two-way street, give some, get some. If they are so with us, then we will be to them. However, we are not less than they are. I will not force my indigo to do what they do not want to." "You will if you want to live." "As if we can't take your pups." Said Joy irreverently. Krede opened his mouth, but both wolves perked up their ears. Krede closed his mouth as I heard it too. The sound of many feet silently, or, trying to be silent, padding through the trees from around the building, and more coming down the path. Amala's own ears flicked and Kamala stepped toward one side of the room. Amala moved to my opposite side, leaving Holly closest to me.
    Six werewolves entered the chamber, three males, three females, leaving Hiquanna as the seventh. Both wolves bowed to them, and so did Krede. They were the only ones. The elders looked at us expectantly. No one moved. "Well." Snapped a female. Again, no one moved. She stared into each pair of eyes, watching and assessing. Then, "You were correct Alpha, they have no sense in respect to elders." Languidly, Luna slid closer, her eyes on the female's. "I don't know you, nor do I really care enough to. I don't bow, to anyone." I hadn't known Luna could come off so venomous, so irreverently sweet and cruel. Joy showed no reaction to her twin's sudden shift in perspective. Instead, she made the same languid slide forward and said the exact same line, in perfect imitation of Luna. The female didn't react, though her eyes did flicker with anger. Audrey said coolie. "Is there a reason we're here again? I thought we were supposed to bee talking with generals or something." "You will not converse with our elite warriors-"I don't beelieve I was asking you." Said Audrey. "I believe I was speaking to Kitana." As if my name were an ax, silence lashed through the room. The great doors closed with a puissant "BOOM." In the quietude, all six elders looked toward me, their eyes assessing. I stepped forward, and allowed my hands to relax from my fans, allowed the slight burn to uncoil from deep within as I shifted into my partial werewolf form. My ears elongated, my eyes changed, growing more wolfish. My nose grew that delicate curve, my hands flexed as claws grew from my nail beds. Claws grew from the tips of my boots, clicking against the polished wood. I opened my mouth, baring my fangs.
All six elders stared, then spun to face Hiquanna, who's face was as blank as stone. "One of your's?" The female asked. "Sadly." Said Hiquanna. "She was my last, and something I chose to create with a being whom I thought would empower my kingdom—"Kingdom." Said Audrey. "And make it into an empire. But," she gestured uselessly to me. "As you can see, that hasn't worked out." For a moment, all six stared between us, as if just now noticing similarities, and differences. Then, they moved, and sat around the table. Hiquanna moved to take the head of the table. Her gaze lifted to mine, and she said, "Why have you come." "Isn't that luculent?" I asked, stepping toward the table. The two wolves snarled in warning, Holly snarled back. I gestured toward the wall, to the dark skies beyond. "I'm sure, being someone with such deep connections, and spies everywhere, you are well aware that the world has gone dark, both the human and indigo worlds. That Ragni Di Morte are real, and running bedlam and chaos through both worlds. That humans are now aware that all their dreams and nightmares are real. That you, and your council are well aware of the Dark Queen, Arachne's rise, fall, and now reawakening. Aware she intends to rip the indigo world apart before returning to Earth and doing the same there, and then, taking on the Higher Beings."
"We are aware of such things." Said a male to Hiquanna's left. Sarah opened her mouth, but closed it, letting me take the lead. "Good, then you are already aware of why we've come. Of why, even now, our army is trekking through your lands, and by extension, will be waiting for us before the Forbidden Kingdom." Holly snickered a little, but no one commented on it. No one spoke at all actually. The six elders just sat around the table, watching us, watching for our reaction. Finally, it was Leia who snapped, "Well?" "We are aware of such events taking place." Said another male. "We've made the necessary changes to our borders, to ensure our safety as a people." "Wow," Muttered Luna. "Just fucking wow." "You are also aware that you aren't fighting vampires." I said. "That these creatures are bread for war, bread with thick exoskeletons, with heavy armored plates, sharper pincers, these things are nothing to be taken lightly." "We are aware of such events." Said another male. "So Kitana." Said my mate coolie. "Either your other half of the family is really slow, really stupid, really dim, or enjoy the metaphorical dentist pulling teeth thing, or, they want you to ask them directly." That got a vicious reaction. All six elders immediately started yelling. "HOW DARE YOU." "WHO DO YOU BELIEVE YOU'RE TALKING TO?" "WE ARE THE GREAT ELDERS."
I waited as their kept raving, as they threw Kendra nasty looks, a few unsheathing their claws. Krede on the other hand, remained where he was, his onyx eyes cold and remote, completely expressionless. The two wolves however pawed the ground, ready to throw themselves at my mate. "Well played." Said Hiquanna. "Let's try this." She sat forward, exuding her power through the room. "Why have you come to my lands?" "Because I can." I purred. All six elders jerked, as if physically slapped by the luculent derision in my voice. "I was aware you wanted nothing to do with me. At, all." "That remains the same." I said. "But we've come for a more professional matter." Here it was again. A power play, throwing your weight around, hoping something would stick. As we argued, as we debated, I realized that though Hiquanna was the greatest, was an alpha, she may hold all the power of her lands, but the elders were more of political heads. They could, if technically, overrule her directive. Stashing that thought away for a later date, I focused on the current conversation. As the elders still reeled from Kendra's vocal slap, Hiquanna remained irreverent, cool and void. Yes, yes she was well aware why I and the rest had come. She planned for it, if her reactions were anything to go by. I wanted deeply, desperately, to look toward Amala and Kamala. Not just because I wanted their opinion, but because I wanted to gage their reactions, see what they were thinking. Then, "Fuck me, I'm so stupid. I'm a fucking indigo." "I didn't say anything." Kendra murmured in my mind, her voice filled with sarcasm. "Bite me bitch." I thought back. "But sweet sweet Kitana, you know I love it better when you're biting me." I wanted to snarl, wanted to, as the beginnings of heat trailed down my spine. But instead, I brushed it aside, and sent my thoughts outward, down the huge long highway of minds until I recognized Amala's, dropping that mental anchor, I said, "What's your take on this?" "Took you long enough." She said. "Shut up." Was my automatic reply.
    "Then I can't do what you want me to." I snorted mentally. "You would either way." I thought. As the arguing carried on, I kept my contact with Amala. At least, until, "Oh, finally, I was wondering if we were all going to make some big telepathic conversation." Said Audrey as she dropped in. "Kitana you're really bad at being Huntor and Sydney's second." "Awww, cut her some slack Audrey." Purred Joy's voice. "She's still a pup." "I will kill all of you." I thought. Then, taking a mental breath, I focused on the matter at hand. "They don't know." I thought to Amala. "They don't know I'm her real daughter. They don't know she invoked Death, courted Death in order to create me." "Wait," Said Joy. "Are we talking the actual incarnation of Death, as in capital D Death? Because—"Yes yes yes." I said, cutting her off. "Death is perceived in many aspects, but the one she was after is perhaps the oldest, the incarnation of Death the ancient greeks believed in. Thanatos. My direct father. Or, biological father." "Well shit." Joy said. "I mean, I know you always said that girl, but still, actually believing that shit, is hard." "Not so hard." Said Luna, jumping in out of nowhere. "I'm certain we have godly parentage somewhere, otherwise we wouldn't be indigo-gods." I felt Joy's mental shrug. "Whatever." "Yes." Said Amala. "She kept that to herself, that, and the fact you're a half-blood. Half god, half indigo. It's no doubt how Huntor could channel godly power into you and Diana." "Yet no one knows her origins." I said. Amala thought about that. "No." She said. "No one does."
    "Does anyone wanna comment on how Lucy and Kupoa are running loose here?" Asked Audrey. "No," I said. "And no one will. We need them out there playing spy." "Wait," said Joy. "Where is Diana?" She was about to look around, as if she would see Diana swinging from the chandelier. "Don't," I and Amala ordered. "Ok ok ok geez." Joy relaxed and nonchalantly reached out and rested her arm over Luna's shoulders. Luna looked mildly annoyed. The elders all looked to the motion, then away, deeming it superfluous. "That's a little harsh." Said Joy. "You don't have time to consider anything." Snapped Audrey. Krede snarled a warning, as the two wolves did. "Oh bite me." Said Audrey irreverently. "You," she pointed two fingers to the elders. "You have no time for this shit, for debating, for questioning our reasonings, our life stories, our whatever. We need to move, now, you, need to martial all your forces, now." In the wake of Audrey's words, the strength of the quietude was so puissant that not even daylight could've slashed through it. Slowly, very slowly, Krede bared his teeth, and inched toward Audrey. I stepped into his path. "Don't." I snarled.
    Krede's claws glittered as he raised them. "Move." He ordered. I felt the power of the command, felt the relentless strength behind it. Krede was a werewolf, one who would be obeyed, or those who didn't, would die. "Don't." I ordered, and allowed that wolf in me to break loose, to snarl her way out, to roar her power and ferocity. In the air between us, power licked the air as Krede and I stared at each other. The six elders did nothing, just observed with blank faces. Hiquanna sat back in her throne like seat, and said, "Stand down Kitana." The three words hammered at me, one after the other. But I dug in my claws, anchoring myself to my mate. "Don't." I snarled to Krede yet again. His onyx eyes hardened as he realized Hiquanna had no control over me.

HOLLY:
    I knocked on the door, a gentle, "Rap—Rap—Rap." I waited, but there was no sound from inside. No deep breathing, no harsh breaths. Apprehensively, I opened the door. Kitana sat on the window ledge, her feet dangling three stories above the ground. "Mama?" I asked as i entered. Kendra was nowhere in sight or smell. Kitana didn't answer. Her eyes were clouded as she stared into the semidarkness. It had been four days, four days since we first entered Hiquanna's lands, her personal territory. Four days, since that initial confrontation between Kitana and her mother. Four days, and Kitana had become more and more closed off. Brooding in here, shut away from everyone, even Mom. "Mama?" I asked again, touching her arm. She looked at me then, but those violet eyes were as distant as we were from the lights in the north. I nuzzled her neck affectionately. "Mama."
    "Sometimes," she murmured. "I wonder why I try to do this. Why, even after it all, I know I'm going to fail." "Mama, Mom, Kitana." Her eyes began to clear, and she noticed my face. "Holly, sweetheart what are you doing in here? You should be with the others." "So should you." I said gently. She shook her head. "I can't," "Why?" "Being here," she waved to the would outside. "I can't be around the others, I, I just can't." "But we're family Mama, all of us." "I have no family." She said quietly. Claws dug hard into my heart, scoring deep lacerations. "Mama?" I nuzled harder, pressing my body against her. Usually, she'd give me an annoyed smile and push me off. Kitana did nothing but continue to stare into my eyes, then look away. "I have no family, none at all. She's right." Those claws struck again, deeper wounds lashing across my heart. "Mama, you can't be serious? You honestly can't believe after everything—"Look at the facts." She said. "I have no real parents, no real siblings, I have nothing at all." "What about Mom?" I asked. "I have nothing. Not even Kendra, not down to the core of it all." I stumbbled away, gasping. "Mama." The name was a bite, a bite of pure agony. Kitana swung herself off the ledge and into the room, the room of the cabin we were all staying in, the cabin, that was being watched all day, all night by werewolf eyes. A black bird with a strange silver breast, landed on the ledge and eyed us both with green eyes before watching the trees. "Mama—"Stop." Said Kitana. "It's the fucking truth, there's no denying it. Hiquanna is my only blood kin—"And you taught me that blood means nothing." I snapped, unable to keep the pain out of my voice much longer. "You taught me that when it comes down to it, it's who we love the most, the friends we make, the siblings we choose. Look at you and Aunt Diana. You both are sisters by choice, not by blood, and you've been that way for years." Kitana's face contorted with pain and rage, rage that was incongruous to her usual countenance, she snarled, "Get out." "I will not." I snarled back. Her eyes lashed with werewolf rage.
    "Excuse me?" "I will not leave you." I said, pain causing me to snap more and more, biting out the words. "You're angry," I continued. "Angry, scared and hurt, lonely, I get that, I do, but you aren't alone, don't have to be alone. You—"What do you know?" She shot back, and my mouth snapped closed. "What the fuck could you possibly know? You have a family, had one. Ever since you were little. Ever since we found Alleyka Meyhoe and Meylo. You always had a family, even if you never realized your true power, that you weren't just a werewolf, but and indigo werewolf on top of that. You still have and had a family all your life. I NEVER DID." She shouted those words, and I stumbled away. On the window ledge, the black bird flapped it's wings and let out a low whistle, as if in warning. Kitana advanced, anger, so much anger lashing through her eyes, anger, and fear, such undiluted fear. "What could you possibly know?" Her words came out in an inhuman hiss, laced with venom. "What, could, you, know?" I felt the tears start to burn my eyes. "Kitana?" "Get out." She snarled. "Out, right now." Her voice darkened, darkened into something worse. Her face was cast into shadows, and in those shadows, a wolf stood, ready to lash out. The werewolf in me wanted to curl up, to hide away from that horrifying beast, a beast of not just dominant, primal power, but a beast of death, a beast born from death and darkness. Shadows moved languidly around her face, visage of a wolf. On the ledge, the bird whistled more insistently.
    "Mama—"You're no daughter of mine." She snapped, her voice darker than death, than the darkest hell. "I have no children, none to call mine." "WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" I shouted, agony and fury getting the better of me. "YOU BROUGHT ME IN, YOU TOLD ME YOU LOVE ME, ARE MY MOTHER, BOTH OF YOU." Tears burst out and I broke, wrapping my arms around myself. Kitana's face darkened even more, if possible. And I saw luculent disgust there, disgust and loathing that caused all sense of confidence fell. I don't know what made her do it, what caused that loathing and rage to whip into something else, but the next thing I knew, I was against the wall, blood leaking out of three gashes scored on to my cheek. "Kitana" "OUT, NOW." I fled, slamming the door behind me before fleeing down the halls of the cabin.