Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Worst Timing In History

BRIELLA:
    "I wondered where I'd find you." I turned slightly to face Kitana as she neared the edge of camp, as I stared at the barren landscape. Kitana paused, staring out along side me. For a while, we stood in companionable silence, watching the semi-dark world before us. "It's coming, isn't it?" I asked. "The end." "I believe so." Said Kitana. "Do you believe those of us who are true gods, will remain gods?" "I don't know." Said Kitana. "Godhood is one puissant dangerous thing. And, I don't believe it's for everyone." "I've reached godhood." I said. "How do you know?" "Because I changed, when I transformed into my full lioness form. I think, think that's why Huntor told me to stay behind, to stay home. Because, he knew, knew I hit godly power and needed to learn to control it." Kitana nodded. "I think so too." A pause, then, "Who do you believe hit their godly power?" "Kupoa and Lucy." I said instantly. "Leia, Sarah, Audrey, I think Joy and Luna are getting close. Alexandra, Vera." Kitana nodded again. "I think, think the end is truly near Kitana, truly upon us." "The final end?" I nodded. "Yes, the final end." I held out my hand, and Kitana grasped it. Her hand was warm, warm and strong. Warm, strong, and soft, oh so soft. "They will come back." I said. "I know." Said Kitana. "I just hope they don't come back when it's too late, when she's won. We can only do so much, even with godly power."
For a while, we stood in silence, watching the dark, waiting, knowing. A cool wind blew against us, scenting of the Ragni Di Morte, scenting of agony, of rot, of death. As if the Forbidden Kingdom was a soup, a wretched filthy soup of rot and decay. Of silken venom that was too sweet to the mouth and melted the intestines and boiled the blood. Behind us, Lucy and Kupoa called in unison, their cry echoing across the Forbidden Kingdom, and, beyond. I fought my natural urge to answer their call, to answer that animalistic primal bellow. Kitana snarled softly, as if even she could barely resist them. I heard Holly's snarl, the snarls of dracons, Camille's roar, Jeffry's yell. A hummingbird flew in out of nowhere and landed on Kitana's head. The palm sized bird had black feathers, yet those feathers glistened, and on it's breast, was a silver visage of the Indigo Symbol's crest. A bow, with a trident set on the string. Lucy bellowed again. Camille answered her roar. Kupoa roared. I heard Jeffry bellow, "We da Indigo Mafia Bitches, let's destroy those Ragni Di Morte, G G G G." I shook my head. "We couldn't leave them behind." Kitana snorted. "Trust me, I almost wish we had." "How are you managing?" I asked. "With your," I gestured to her baby, to her belly. "I don't know." Said Kitana, running a hand over her stomach. "I'm not showing, not even a little. Is it because I'm a god? Can I choose when to have my baby? Do I even know what it is? I can smell it, but, still, it's been weeks, and I still have not been showing at all." "I think it is because you're a god, because of that, maybe you won't show unless you want to. And, maybe because of that, it's safe to be pregnant and in the middle of this war." Kitana considered my words. "Hopefully."

AUDREY:
Zavala slid from under me, her body loose, her breast still wet from my mouth. "Dragon Talons." She moaned as she rose. "I missed making love with you." I snorted. "You and I both Beautiful." Grinning, Zavala dressed. I dressed and followed her out the tent and down a shale covered path through the encampment. "How are you holding up?" "Zavala asked. "The goddess Audrey, has a ring to it." I jabbed Zavala with my elbow. "It's meh, but if you call me that, I'll have to make you pay." Zavala snorted then laughed as telekinetic fingers tickled her behind her ear. "Stop you ass." "I have one, thank you for taking notice." I teased. Far in the distance, I heard Lucy bellow. Zavala snarled in response, as did several of the dracons who surrounded us. "Easy girl." I said. "Can't help it." Said Zavala. "That cry, it's irresistible." I understood. It called to my dragon half, that wild beast inside my skin. "Let this call to you." I purred, telekinetic hands squeezing her breasts. "Audrey," Zavala moaned, then she paused. "Wait, what's—" a cold hand pressed against the back of my neck. I turned on the spot, feeling the air. Yet everything seemed ok. Lucy admitted another cry, Kupoa joining in. Camille roared back. I raised my arms, the scent of the sea coiling through the air like a serpent. Clouds coiled through the air, and the scent of salt wove with my own.
"What—? Asked Zavala yet again. We moved further through our camp, and out, searching for the source of that cold hand. "Audrey I—" Zavala yelled as something lashed into her, sending her flying, then yelled in pain. I felt it, through the bond between us, pincers, snapping over, her, wing. "ZAVALA." I roared. Lightning, deep and blue lashed from the sky and zapped the Ragni Di Morte that pinned my mate. "You messed with the wrong Dolphin." I snarled. I rushed to Zavala's side, hydro power at my fingertips. "Where does it hurt Babe? Where—"AUDREY, LOOK OUT." Honestly, I don't know if anyone ever told me to watch out, but seriously, even for my mate to say that? S-M-H, literally. As I shook my head, something slammed into my back like a speeding car and sent me flying. I shifted mid flight, and spun through the air, whipping out my new fans. And, not a moment, too soon. The fan clanged against the armored hide of a Ragni Di Morte's leg as it swiped it out. The spider recoiled and lashed out again. I spun aside, whipping my tail around to lash into the spider. It jerked but didn't yield. Landing, I flipped my fans and stashed them away. Thinking of Kitana, thinking of Huntor, of Sarah, I concentrated, and hydro fans appeared in my grasp. "Let's go." I snarled and attacked.