1 > just the beginning

Today's the day. First day in the game. I've studied so long for this, and now that the day is finally here, I'm nervous. I mean, I'm always nervous if I'm being honest, it's nothing new.

Really nervous actually, maybe I'm not cut out for this. See this is what I do, I start to overthink things and I start to freak out for no good reason. I've been a surgeon for a while now, so I shouldn't be freaking out.

Hi, I'm Cole Robbins, and today I start my new job with my sister—Arizona Robbins. She's a pediatric surgeon, an amazing one if I should say so myself. One of the best in the country.

I myself am a General Surgeon, and I'm so glad to be one. I've studied for years and worked for a couple of years. But I've worked at the same hospital for a while. It didn't pay well and the conditions weren't the best.

So, I've moved on to a better job with my sister. And I couldn't be more excited to be working with my best friend. We've been the best of friends since our parents adopted be when I was young.

"You nervous?" Arizona asks me as we drive to Seattle Grace hospital, "You shouldn't be. You're going to do great." She tells me with a smile. She always knows when I'm feeling blue or nervous or happy. She knows everything about me.

I turn to her and smile, "Arizona, that's what you told me when I tried out for soccer. And guess what I didn't make the team and I broke my foot at tryouts." I tell her and we both laugh at the memory.

She looks over at me, "I hear you're going to be working with Dr. Bailey. I'm going to be teaming up with her so I did my research on her." She tells me and sounds excited about it too.

I turn to her once I hear that I could use this to my advantage, "Yeah? What'd you find?"

"She's talented." She simply says, "Smart, caring, and very hard working. Just like you." I shake my head, "I know you'll do great, Cole. Stop worrying." She puts her hand on my hair and plays with it for a little.

I shake my head and start to laugh, "I'm not worried, Arizona. I'm just—scared. It's a new environment. New co-workers and I have to get to know them. It's like starting from scratch." I complain to her.

We park in front of the building and she smiles at me, "At least you're not going through it alone. You've got me, Kiddo." She kisses my cheek, "you'll do great, and I'm sure of it. Plus, we're working together on our first day."

We get out of the car and get our stuff out of the trunk before head towards the building, "Yeah, like if that's a plus." I mumble but loud enough for her to hear it.

Arizona gasps and begins to push me, "Christopher Cole Robbins," she says laughing, "you know you love spending time with me. Don't deny it." She tells me and I just pretend to ignore her.

I start to laugh as we entered and Arizona went up straight up to the front desk where a small gorgeous black woman sat. I observed her from afar, she is absolutely beautiful. There's just something about her that I can't put my finger on.

Arizona smiled at me, "Dr. Bailey." Arizona called out and the small women looked up, "Arizona Robbins. I'm taking over Dr. Kenley's patients." My sister talked to her while I just stare down nervously.

"You're the peds surgeon?" Dr. Bailey asks her.

Arizona looks at me as I stand back, "Yeah, I see you're assisting with Jackson Prescott. You know, all due respect to Dr. Kenley—he was a wonderful physician—but, you know, I'm surprised that he followed the course of treatment for so long. When it wasn't, you know, working." Arizona comments.

Dr. Bailey looks down with disbelief, "Oh, no. I'm not criticizing you. You didn't make the call." I stand back as I watch this all happen and try to not walk away and pretend I don't know Arizona.