Chapter 29

A small figure under my right arm moved. I turned myself on to see that Oliver had moved positions in her sleep. I smiled and carefully picked her up. She snuggled into my chest as I got up. The cords came unplugged as I placed Oliver on the bed. I put the covers over her and looked out the window.

Dark. It was dark. I rolled my eyes knowing it was nighttime. I knew it was Scott's first night of terror, but didn't want to go watch. I sat down at my desk as paperwork appeared. I was in the mood for work so I started doing it.

I didn't have magic do it, just myself. I read each line and answered questions along the way. The pile kept growing a little bit at a time til it stopped. I was 3/4 of the way done when I heard a voice.

"(Y/n)?" Oliver asked.

I put the pen down and turned around in the chair to look at her.

"What are you doing?" She asked while sitting up.

"Just doing some work. Why are you up?" I asked her.

"I don't know. I just happened to," she said while looking away.

"Well, try to go back to sleep. It's not time yet to go up," I said.

She nodded and laid back down with her back towards me. She pulled the covers up over her body as I turned back around. I went back to work.

Time passed as I finished up the work. I put my pen down and teleported the work to where it needs to be. More work was brought in. I was about to do it when Oliver's voice stopped me.

"Why are you doing work? Shouldn't you be upstairs interacting with the children?" She asked.

"Not today. I want to get this out of the way," I told her without glancing at her.

She walked up next to the desk and held her head up on her arms on the desk. I looked at her without stopping.

"What?" I asked her.

"Aren't you supposed to be done with that for a year?" She asked.

I stopped and leaned my head on my hand with my elbow on my desk.

"Who told you?" I asked.

"A little Puppet told me everything that happened after you first got the restaurant," she smiled.

I shook my head.

"Puppet likes to tell stories. Especially when it is something that I did or happened. Whatever he told you is true," I turned and went back to work.

I made a laptop appear. It was mine from years ago. I upgraded it and opened up messages. With the upgrade it got, it now had the features of a phone. I checked messages to see lots. They were mainly from the data plan and such. I deleted them.

I started to get a call from mom. I'm sure she forgot that I didn't have a phone because she hung up quickly. I called her back for FaceTime. She answered with a very sad and panicky face.

"Hey mom. What's up?" I asked her.

"Your father is in the hospital. I don't know what happened but he just collapsed on the floor and never woke up. He's being transported to the Emergency room," she told me.

I looked back at her with a terrified expression.

"I'll be right there," I told her and hung up.

I went to my original human form. A form way before I had robotic parts. I got myself in regular clothes which I cringed to after putting them on.

"I don't like putting regular clothes on. Anyways, wanna come or stay?" I asked her.

"I'll come. I don't know everyone and I get nervous easily," she said.