The Arrest

Emma smiled at Jughead as they sat out on the steps in front of her house.

She watched as the glimmer of hope lit up his eyes as he spoke about his dad. "I just can't believe I walked in and it was clean. He was clean. It's like he was a whole new person. When he came to the party he looked really good and he's been doing good."

She held his hand as she saw his face falter, "But?"

Jughead shrugged. Fear of the past casted doubt on the possibility of a better future.

"What if it doesn't last, Thea? What if he slips back into his old way again." She knew that FP had let his son down over the years. Their relationship was nothing short of a rollercoaster ride.

A never ending one at that. She wanted it to last, she wanted Jughead to reconnect with his dad.

"Only time will tell. The most that I can say is try and make the best of it while you can. Remind him why he needs to stay clean. I'll help you in anyway I can."

She knew he had been clean since working for her dad, but to hear Jughead finally talk about it meant he was coming around to the idea of his dad actually sticking to his word.

Hope was good for him, something in which he had lived without for a long time.

He squeezed her hand and looked at her endearingly, "I'm glad to have you back, Theodora."

"Always a pleasure, Forsythe."

***

"Sorry to interrupt, but I have an announcement to make." Cheryl.

Rolling her eyes, Emma turned around from her seat at the group's usual outdoor lunch table to see the redhead. "One that tangentially involves you, Betty. I'm bringing Polly to the dance as my date, and we're campaigning as co-queens of Homecoming Court."

Betty had seemed confused by Cheryl's statement as was the rest of the group. "Because why?"

"Because, Nightmare Smurfette, by all rights, it should've been Polly and Jason on that stage being crowned. This is the next best thing." Cheryl smiled causing Emma to internally gag.

"So! Don't forget to vote, and I'll see everyone at my coronation." She cheerily walked away. Veronica huffed making a face that displayed her annoyance.

Emma nodded as she stabbed her food, "So, she ruined everyone's Saturday night with her satanic game and now she wants us to vote for her? I rather stab my own eyes with two rusted needles and get a tetanus shot before I prop psycho Barbie on a pedestal."

"Geez, Em. It's noon, no need to get all dark." Jughead said to the girl seated beside him.

Archie eyed his sister, who sat in front of him, before turning to Betty. "Betty about the Homecoming Dance, can I play a couple of songs? I kind of told my mom that..." Betty looked at him with a grim face, "Whoa, you don't want me to?"

Betty shook her head, "No, no it's not that, Archie, it's just, um..." She looked to the group as she continued, "... this dance needs to be fun. And your songs, as amazing as they are-"

"Make you wanna slit your wrists." Jughead interjected.

Emma scoffed, "And I'm dark?"

"In a good way." Jughead attempted to redeem himself.

Veronica attempted to assure Archie, "In an amazing way." As she shot Jughead a look. "But no need to fret, Betty. 'Cause Archie asked me to sing with him, and we're thinking of doing some upbeat covers." She nodded as she told her white lie.