Snakes In the Grass

"When I'm with Veronica, as dark as things get— and they've been getting pretty dark— she makes me feel like everything is gonna be fine. She makes things fun, I don't wanna lose that."

"Aw, that was cute. I'll mention it at the wedding." Emma stood in the doorframe of Archie's room with a light smirk across her lips.

Fred shook his head, "You won't lose her. You just gotta give her a little time and space. You're a great kid, Arch. Really, get out there and have a good time. Take the pressure off." He patted his son on the chest as he moved to leave.

"You two stay safe." Kissing his daughter on the top of her head, he spoke softly. "Make sure you have an eye on him."

"Always." She replied, watching him leave the room. "So... you ready to roll, Casanova?" Archie nodded as he followed her out. The two headed to the White Wyrm for FP's retirement party.

She could see her brother was still bothered by the open ended 'I love you' that now sat in Veronica's court. Emma knew better than to push him, asking him what his thoughts were. Archie, as much as he loved his sister, would shield her from the truth that he was scared.

Even in times like this.

However, Archie planned on talking to Veronica at FP's Retirement party and Emma hoped it went well.

Sliding out of the car, the twins entered the loud and rambunctious threshold of the Whyte Wyrm. People laughed and talked while music filled the air. She smiled even brighter knowing that her brother felt bad for his behavior, and therefore, said he would be the designated driver.

"It's packed." Archie commented towards the strawberry-blonde who smiled in response.

Emma made her way towards the bar and waved at Toni and Sweet Pea. Dragging her brother along, the two made it to the bar.

Toni rested her hands against the counter of the bad and whistled at Emma, "Did you get all dressed up for me?" Toni smirked at the strawberry blonde. Emma mockingly spun while she walked to show off her satin black dress that hugged her body and lace up heels.

She watched as her brother sat at the bar next to her, very clearly overthinking what he would say to Veronica.

"A sight for sore eyes, Little Red." Sweet Pea shot her a rare genuine smile while Toni smirked at him. The serpent, however, had his eyes trained on the girl in front of him— not noticing Archie's disgusted facial response.

Emma smiled and turned her head slowly towards him. "Ah, and so he does live up to his name."

"Only for women like you, Emma Andrews."

The strawberry-blonde laughed, "You are trouble." She pointed at him before turning to Toni who simply watched with amusement.

Sweet Pea leaned forward slightly and placed his elbow on the counter of the bar, "And you are beautiful."

Archie rolled his eyes.

Emma had raided Cheryl's closet to find the perfect dress to impress her boyfriend, yet she seemed to attract the eyes of the other raven-haired boy.

She simply shook her head and lightly chuckled while Archie sat in irritation. He hated her budding friendship with Sweet Pea. To Archie— Sweet Pea was a comparable to Reggie when it came to quick tempers and impulsive behaviors. He was violent, dangerous, and quick to jump. Yet, Archie knew that the tall serpent treated Emma very different from how he interacted with Archie. He didn't group her in with Archie and so, the redhead placed his personal grievances behind him for Emma's sake.