Chapter Thirty-Five :: Try Again?

I rested a blanket along ___'s body and stood up once more, not moving my gaze from her neck; Jiro left some pretty bad bruises when he tried to kidnap you.

It had been a month since we last saw each other, but I don't think she wants to talk about us, yet. I was only protective because Jiro had that dark side to him, but I guess she never knew about it till tonight.

I went into the kitchen - not being able to bear seeing the bruises much longer - and poured myself another glass of sake. It went down the hatch easily.

I stared back at her resting body before shaking my head and walking over again. I slid my arms underneath her before lifting her up bridal style; the scent from her shampoo filled my nostrils and made my eyes swell up.

"I couldn't protect you," I muttered as I felt a tear escape and run down my cheek. "I'm sorry."

I carried her to my bedroom and laid her down on the bed, removing the blanket I originally had on her and laying what used to be ours over her. I then caught myself leaving a gentle kiss on her forehead, and went out of the room.

I closed the door behind me before walking to the living room and sat down on the couch. "I should've gone to that meeting," I told myself, staring off into oblivion. "I should've followed you home, I should've stopped Jiro from every laying his hands on you. What kind of ninja am I if I can't even protect those that I love?"

I covered my face with my hands and began sobbing at the failure I was; I hadn't cried this hard since I walked in on my dead father's body, and I saw the blood of my teammate Rin's on my own hands. I got too protective of ___, and now she sees me as some over-controlling bastard.

I don't think she'll ever give me a second chance. We could both be the only humans left for the next thousand years, but she won't bash an eyelash at me.

Maybe this was my punishment for caring so much about those that I love? Maybe I need to just worry about myself and not get into another relationship again, so I don't break down and feel like this?

***
You slowly began to stir  awake as you heard someone crying in the next room; a familiar aroma surrounding you. You sat up in the comfy bed and rubbed your eyes before studying the surroundings. You felt your heart throb hard in your chest as you saw a photo of you and Kakashi facing you on the nightstand.

You swung your legs over the side of the bed and stood up, feeling a bit weak. You weren't sure what happened, but the last event you remember was Jiro attacking you. You knew where you were though, so you figured that someone thought you and Kakashi were still together and brought you over here.

You made your way to he bathroom and stared at your reflection in the mirror before screaming. Jiro had left nasty bruises on your throat.

"No no no no NO!" You cried, falling to the ground.

Suddenly, you heard someone come in and felt a familiar pair of arms wrap around you. You kept crying, but then heard Kakashi say, "Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm here, calm down."

"Why me?" You turned to him and buried your face into the crook of his neck. Your arms wrapped around him too as you felt Kakashi's hand run through your hair. "I couldn't protect myself...."

"___, I am here for you." Kakashi made you look him in his eyes. You noticed that his mask was down and his eyes were puffy from crying. "I'm sorry for not going to that meeting. I could've protected you. But I failed to do so."

Suddenly being in his presence made you feel safe and welcomed. "Kashi.." you sobbed, wiping the tears off your face. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?"

"Because I broke your heart for not listening to you. You were right."

Kakashi didn't say anything, but pulled you in for a tight hug. His grip made you think he never wanted to let you go, which made you feel safe. You returned the hug and felt him bury his face into your neck. "I'm sorry." He kept repeating it over and over.

That was when you smelt the alcohol in his breath. Your heart broke thinking you were the reason he had turned to drinking. "Kashi," you caught him attention as you both sat on the bathroom floor. "Do you want to try again?"

He left eye contact and wiped his tears away. "I don't want you to leave me again for protecting you.." he muttered. "I saved you from Jiro, but I could've been there before he attacked you."

"Kakashi," you placed your hand on his face and turned him to you. You didn't say anything, but planted a soft kiss on his lips. You then realized how hungry both of you were from your arms sneaking around his neck and his arms pulling you closer to him and wrapping around your torso.

You both made out for a few minutes before pulling back and resting each other's forehead against one another. "___, can we please try again?" He begged. "I love you so much, and I don't want to lose you again. This month has been nothing but hell, and I've been lonely and depressed without your smile."

You nodded and kissed his forehead. "Only on one condition."

"Anything."

"You never stop loving me."

Kakashi kisses you passionately, which confirmed his deal with you. Your chest warmed up with happiness and a smile formed on your face as Kakashi left kisses all over it.