Chapter 40:Blood of a Dragon:Korren

It was four days after his cousin Ermine and his winglet started their training. It only seemed like yesterday when he started his Dragon Rider Training.
   Anyways, Ermine asked him and Kya to meet him in the library.
   He, Darkstalker, Kya, and Whiteout walked down to the library.
   They found Ermine and his dragon Snowdrift in one of the last alcoves in the long row of bookshelves.
   "So what's this all about?" He asked his younger cousin.
   "Did Kya tell you about who our grandfather is?" Ermine asked them, looking at Kya with his dark ice blue eyes.
   "Wait, what?" He asked, confused at what the two of them were talking about.
   "I've been meaning to tell you about who our grandfather was. But I haven't had the chance yet with all our homework and tests." Kya apologized to him, shame burning in her eyes.
   "Well okay, who's our grandfather?"
   He wasn't mad at Kya for not telling him. It was better they did this as a family, not telling each other separately.
   Kya and Ermine exchanges glances.
   Ermine cleared his throat, and said, "Our grandfather is Atiqalaaq. Bolin was also a friend of his." Ermine said forthrightly.
   "I knew he was hiding something about Atiqalaaq!" Kya exclaimed, as if she just discovered a new species.
   He was shocked to the bone. There was no way Atiqalaaq—Rider of IceStorm, the Blizzard of the North, and protector of Arctica—was his grandfather. If Atiqalaaq was his grandfather than he was related to Suka the Polar Bear, one of the fifteen Great Beasts.
   "That's not even possible. Atiqalaaq was alive over a hundred years ago. He would have to be out great grandfather in order for our parents to be the age they are right now." He was having trouble believing that it was even possible his grandmother and Atiqalaaq was alive a hundred years ago.
   "Korren I know it's hard to believe, but remember the Draught of the Living Death Potion. Anaba mentioned it once in Potions. It causes the drinker to fall into a very deep, death-like sleep. It's possible grandmother could have purchased it and drank it. Thus putting her into a deep sleep for about half a dozen decades or more. That would explain everything." Kya reasoned. She always knew how to solve a problem, no matter how complicated.
   He thought it over a few minutes. It seemed plausible, but where would his his grandmother be able to get a potion if magic was forbidden and practically forgotten in Erdas. Maybe magic was appreciated a hundred years ago and not looked down upon like it was now.
   "Okay fine. That makes sense. But what happened to Atiqalaaq. Shouldn't he be here teaching and helping us?"
   "Well Korren...Atiqalaaq was murdered in the Fall of the Alagaësia Dragon Riders." Kya said mournfully.
   "Oh," he said, feeling angry and melancholic that he never got to meet his grandfather because of Galbatorix and the bloody war he started that last for four years. So many Riders died because of his wicked, twisted mind.
   "Hey, do you guys know anything about people of dragon-blood?" Ermine asked, looking like he knew something he needed to get off his chest.
   "People of dragon-blood?" Kya asked with skepticism in her voice. "Where did you get this idea?"
  "Snowdrift said something about our grandmother about it." He turned to the beautiful snow-white dragon. "Can you tell them?" Ermine sounded as if he didn't believe himself.
   "I don't believed I've ever heard of people having dragon-blood. But I think if Snowdrift explained it then maybe we can try and find something out about it in the library. There's surly something about it here." Kya asked, wanting to clearly get started working on this task. If her task involved books, scrolls, or searching almost impossible to solve, she would do it.
   "I sensed your grandmother was of dragon-blood. I can't tell you how I knew, I just knew."  Snowdrift explained, not really giving them much to go on, or an idea of where to start.
   "The only place I can think of to start is the B section. Look for anything related to people having dragon-blood or dragon-blooded." Kya told them, heading for the B section.
   They followed her, mainly  because he wasn't really sure what to look for.
   Kya started piling books and scrolls from the shelf, looking at the titles. She either put them back or gave them to him.
   "You two start looking through these for any reference about people with dragon-blood." Kya kindly ordered them.
   He and Ermine day down at a table across from the B section.
   He started on an old, musty scroll that was about dragon-blood. It didn't sound like the most interesting thing.
   He found no reference or anything about people having dragon-blood.
   The next few sources yielded the same results.
   Ermine must have had the same results by the books and scrolls he kept setting next to his pile of unyielding resources.
   Kya eventually joined them at the table after bringing an arm full of books and scrolls to the table to look over.