Menagerie (Vol 4)

Finally the long sea ride was over as the ship that you, Sun and Blake were on finally docked at the harbor. It's had been years since you last set foot on Menagerie but it still looked the same as you remembered, The town has many small buildings and homes set among dunes and palm trees. Making your way to the off ramp you noticed Sun looking around in awe.

Sun: I've never seen so many Faunus in one place!

Blake: This is the one place everyone can feel safe, no matter who or what they are.

Sun: Wow, sure is, uh, crowded, huh?

You: Yep, but don't worry you get used to it.

Sun: (dodging a Faunus carrying a box) Is it always so... cramped?

Blake: Well, when you try and take an entire species and put them on an island that's two-thirds desert, yeah, it tends to be cramped.

Sun: What! You guys have that much more space? Why waste it? A little desert never hurt anyone!

Blake: It's not like the desert in Vacuo, Sun.

You: The wildlife here is more dangerous than most other regions. Some of the animals here make some Grimm look cute in comparison.

Sun: So, they give us a terrible island, in the corner of Remnant, to try and shut us up.

Blake: That's a pretty good summary, yeah.

Sun: Huh. Jerks.

Blake: We try to make the best of things.

You: It could be a lot worse.

Another few minutes of walking through the market district you all made your way to town of Kuo Kuana. All the houses in the area were small shack like homes except for the large house in the center of the town that stood at least three stories tall and had a sophisticated roof.

Sun: Whoa...

Blake: This, is Kuo Kuana.

Sun: It's... beautiful. I take it all back. This place looks great! Why would anyone ever want to leave?

Blake: That's not the point, Sun! We asked to be equal, to be treated just like everyone else! Instead, we were given an island and told to make do. So we did the best we could.

You: Forever a reminder that we'll never be seen as more than second class citizens.

Sun: Well, hey, this guy's feeling pretty at home.

Blake: Alright, guess we should head to my house.

Sun: Oh yeah? (Points around) Which one's yours? Can you see it from here?

Sun uses his free hand like a visor to help him peer at the houses.

Blake: Kind of.

You: (smirks) Yeah you definitely can't miss it.

Sun: Is it that one? (pointing away from Blake) What about that tiny one down there? (pointing across) I like the paintjob.

You: (thinking) Isn't that old man Jenkins house?

Blake: (taking Sun's intruding arm by the wrist and directing it toward the largest house) It's... that one.

Sun stares for a second before pointing his finger at her with a questioning expression. Blake nods. Sun looks at her for a beat before he covers the sides of his head and crouches a bit, staring wide-eyed at the house and making a comical, amazed noise.