Chapter 2- Arrival

One month before the Battle of New York
Joint Dark Energy Mission Facility-S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters

I hear the sound of a loud alarm as I lay in my bed. I groan and place my pillow over my ears hoping to drown out the noise. From outside my bedroom door, I could hear people running and shouting. 

"All personnel, the evacuation order has been confirmed. Proceed to your designated vehicles for all campus evacuation." A man says over the intercom.

Evacuation? What?

"This is not a drill. Emergency personnel proceed to your designated vehicles for all campus evacuation."

I get up from my bed and walk out into the hallway

I get up from my bed and walk out into the hallway. Looking around, I see S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, scientists, and other personnel running frantically.

"Spontaneous event." A distant voice speaks. It was Agent Phil Coulson as I looked to my right and see him walking with Director Nick Fury and Agent Maria Hill. I walk up to them and followed them to wherever it was they were heading to.

"It just turned itself on?" Agent Hill asks.

"Where are the energy levels now?" Director Fury says.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered evac." Agent Coulson says.

"How long to get everyone out?" Director Fury says.

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour." Agent Coulson says.

"Do better." Director Fury says.

Director Fury, Agent Hill and I continue on as Agent Coulson turns around and walks away.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile." Agent Hill says.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Director Fury says, sarcasm in his voice.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance." Agent Hill says.

"I need you to make sure the Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out." Director Fury orders Agent Hill.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Agent Hill says, confused.

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 2 on a truck and gone." Director Fury demands.

"Yes, sir." Agent Hill says. She turns to two agents. "With me."

Director Fury turns to me. "Shouldn't you be packing?"