Prologue

****Picture of Drew Fuller at side****

I was once a small boy, about the age of five. Life was nice; I lived in a ginormous house that had the awesomest pool and servants that did everything for me. The house had nearly forty rooms! Some for games, about ten for beds, some for storage, guests, other stuff, and one was a big ballroom. That room had a marble floor and an old-fashioned chandelier with a lot of crystals hanging from the candle holders. There was also a huge fireplace, like ten feet high and twenty feet long. It had lots of animals, flowers, and other interesting characters painted around it. Also in the ballroom was a grand staircase, all twisty and curvy. I remember that I used to slide down the railing, fun times. That was my favorite room in the whole house.

My second favorite place to be was the pool. It was shaped like a shark with its mouth open. I used to get in at the mouth and slowly make my way to the tail. The tail had a diving board twenty feet high. I used to try and do flips off the board; some worked well and some ended in belly flops. My life was so perfect, that I thought nothing could ruin it. I was wrong.

I stayed up late one night in my room to watch a movie. Then I heard a noise. I was sure that it was my parents and that they had discovered me up past my bedtime. So, I did what any five year old would do, turn off the movie and pretend to sleep. Five minutes later and my parents still hadn’t come into my room. I figured that the noise was just from my imagination, or the movie, so I went to turn the movie back on. Right before I turned on the movie, I heard another noise, and another, and Another, until they were all blending together. I was getting scared, but I decided to investigate the crisis anyway.

First thing I did when I got out of my room was try and find which direction the noises were coming from. It sounded like they came from the ballroom. So, I went down the hallway to the staircase. I could hear fighting going on as I got closer to the ballroom. I reached the staircase and ever so slowly, I peeked around the corner to see the ballroom. I saw my parents fighting my servants, Maria the maid, Gavin the butler, Kevin the chauffeur, Eric the party planner, and Charolette the chef. They were using stuff like candlesticks, mops, ladles, among other things to fight my parents. I could see my parents were exhausted from fighting, but I knew that they couldn’t stop fighting. I slowly crept down the stairs, making sure that no one could see me. I wanted to help my parents fight.

When I got to the bottom, my mother noticed me. “Look away!” she yelled to me. I just stood there, frozen. I thought she would want my help. Lost in my thoughts, I was pulled back into reality when my father yelled at me, “Listen to your mother and turn around!” I could see the worry and fear in their faces for my safety. So I did as they said and turned around.

After what felt like ten minutes of hearing fighting, I dared to turn around. I saw my parents lying on the floor. I tried to reassure myself that they were unconscious, but I knew the truth. They were dead. The tears came streaming down my face, and there was nothing I could do to stop them. Charolette noticed me and said something to her gang that I couldn’t hear. Then she and the others started advancing toward me. I didn’t trust them anymore, so I ran away from them. I hid under the staircase. I used to go there to think but now it was protecting my life. About half an hour after Charolette’s gang started chasing me, I heard them leave. Even though it felt like a heavy weight had come off my chest and I was safe, I didn’t want to move from my spot. I feared too much that they would come back and find me. I needed a place where I could take in what just happened. And for the first time in my life, I felt completely and utterly alone. I wished that my parents were still here and that this was just a dream, but as the seconds turned into minutes and the silence dragged on, I realized that it wasn't a dream and that my parents were dead. I just sat there under the staircase, crying silent tears.

*********************

Time started to slip away from me and I didn’t know how long I was under the staircase. Eventually, I heard voices. I didn’t recognize them, but I didn’t trust these new strangers. Luckily, I could hear their conversation and decide whether these people were good or bad.

“Well John, they are dead.”

“No doubt about it Diego.”

“What a shame, and they were our best agents too.” The word agents surprised me. My parents weren’t agents, they’re just a medical researcher and marine biologist. I went back to listening to the two guys.

“We’ll have to sell the house and arrange a funeral. . .”

“And also fire the servants.”

“Right, right Diego.”

“Hey, didn’t they also have a kid?”

“Yeah, I think they did.”

“Where do you suppose he is?”

“I don’t know? He may be with A.S.S. by now.” I snickered, remembering how easy it was to get away from Charolette and the others. I guess John and Diego had heard my snicker because I could hear footsteps coming toward me. I froze in place because I didn’t know what else to do.

“Don’t worry,” I heard one of them say. “We won’t hurt you. I promise.” He sounded kind and I decided to come out of hiding. I got to see the ballroom for the first time since I came down. The chandelier was on the ground, crystals and everything shattered. Glass shards everywhere, pieces of objects scattered around the room, blood on the floor. It was so beautiful before, and now. . . 

The sight of the ballroom shocked me, I couldn’t speak and my tears started coming back. I stayed like this for what felt like twenty minutes. Then I finally spoke, “Who. . . who. . . who are you?” My voice was barely audible.

“I’m Diego, and this is John.” John waved to me and I waved back awkwardly. John looked like a man who knew how to take care of himself. He was slightly built and I could tell that he had done some bad things to protect himself and the people he loved. Diego was the same, but he had a softer side to him. He wasn’t a violent man if he didn’t have to be. He had somewhat messy hair that seemed like it would always look slightly messy. He had a slight beard that made him look rugged. And then there were his eyes. They were as blue as the ocean and had a certain charm about them. A charm that made me trust him immediately. I went with him, leaving my old life behind.

*********************

My parents funeral was held a week later. I never truly got over their death. Diego took me in and took care of me. He started training me to be an agent for SECRET, Save Everyone Cause Real Evil is Terrible. For thirteen years, I have been training and going on missions, defeat A.S.S., Agents of Sinister Stuff. My life goal is to stop A.S.S. and avenge my parents death. I am Ryan Parker and I am about to go on the biggest mission of my life.