Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The three little boys chatted quietly amongst themselves, getting to know each other better. Liam and Harry soon learned that Niall was indeed of Irish descent, and that his parents did kick him out, Niall thought it was for stealing the last cookie, but he wasn't exactly sure.

"I can handle it, though. It's nice because I get to eat all I want! I don't have a bedtime, and I don't gotta go to school," he explained.

Then Liam remembered. "SCHOOL!" he yelled in shock. "How am I 'posed to go to school now?"

"Ya don't," Harry answered. "I never have. Look at me, I'm smart enough. Maybe not book smarts, but I'll bet ya if a man walked up to ya and took your stuff, you wouldn't know what to do if you went to school. I'm street smart. Learn it, live it, love it."

Liam nodded, but he wasn't sure. How on earth could he adapt as quickly as Harry and Niall had? He sighed, accepting that his parents didn't love him, and that hopefully, these boys would. They were the only thing he had left.

"Do you ever miss them?" Niall asked suddenly.

"Who?" Harry wondered.

"Your mummy and daddy."

"Ha!" Harry laughed in spite of the situation. "Please, Niall! What do you think?" Getting no response from the Irish boy, Harry smacked his forehead in annoyance. "Of course I don't miss em! They're the worst thing that's ever happened to me! I'm sure Liam could say the same, right buddy?"

Liam nodded solemnly, but he didn't know how to respond to that. His foster parents must have loved him at some point in his life, because, after all, he was alive, right? That meant his mum and dad were doing something right.

"Liam?" Harry said. "Liam, you awake man?"

"Wha?" Liam questioned, shaking his small head. "Yeah, I'm awake. Sorry, I wasn't payin' any attention."

"Clearly," Niall muttered, causing Harry to laugh. "Cuz it looks like we got some company."

"Huh? Where?"

Harry and Niall turned around, as did Liam. Surely enough, behind them stood a thin boy with tab skin and black hair. He smiled crookedly. He looked like he was on his own, too. There were no adults around him, which gave it away that he was alone.

"Who're you?" Harry said, looking at the boy with a judging expression.

"Zayn," he said. The poor kid looked like he hadn't eaten in days, weeks even. "Zayn Malik."

"Malik..." Liam muttered. "I heard that name somewhere before. You from around here?"

"Yeah, I live...er...lived...down the street," he said.

"Lived?" Niall wondered. "What happened?" Although he already knew what Zayn was about to say.

Zayn told them his story. He was adopted when he was ten weeks old. He said he didn't remember that part, the boys hadn't expected him to remember anyway. He then said that at first, his parents were very loving people. They treated Zayn like a prince, and loved him with all of their hearts. But then Zayn's father was caught cheating on Zayn's mother. His mother became angry when she found out, and therefore, decided to divorce him. That was when Zayn was three. Around that time, Zayn's father went through a time of deep depression, missing his wife. He didn't know what to do with himself. He had tried suicide many times. Then, one day, he put Zayn up for adoption. He still loved his son very much, but he didn't want Zayn to remember his father as a suicidal drug addict. As he lived at the foster home, Zayn realized that nobody wanted to adopt him, so he snuck away one night and learned to live on the busy streets of London, England.