Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Zayn had never felt happier in his entire life.

Rosie was amazing and beautiful, everything he'd ever wanted.

And the fact that they were allowed to move in with her made her ten times greater.

"So?" she said to Zayn and the three others as they walked into the big building. "What do you think?"

All Zayn could do was nod. He was in awe. The orphanage was huge. It was amazing.

"It's great!" Liam exclaimed. "I never believed we would ever find ourselves...here!"

Gratefully, Niall gave Rosie a hug to thank her. Zayn's heart sank when he saw her blush in response. He wouldn't admit it to the other boys, but he had a crush on her. A huge crush. One of those crushes where you feel warm and fuzzy inside whenever they're around you.

Zayn pouted. He didn't want any of the other boys falling for her...

Wait.

Niall was in love with Liam. Zayn was the one that convinced him to believe it because he knew Liam loved him back.

And Niall wouldn't do that to Liam, the one he loves.

Would he?

No. Of course not.

"Rosie? Oh, Rosie dear, where are you?" an old woman's voice echoed through the long hallways, bringing Zayn back to reality. She walked down the hall wearing a sparkly dress and high heels, her brown hair (that was slowly beginning to become grey) curled. She stopped in her tracks when she saw four boys she had never seen before. "Oh my, who are these boys, darling?"

Nervously, Rosie responded, "Oh, Madam Higgins, they have to stay! They have nowhere to live! They were living in the woods! Please let them stay, please?"

Madam Higgins had a blank expression on her face. Then she smiled. "Of course, Rosie! We're always welcoming new children to our home." The boys smiled.

Zayn, Niall and Liam liked the sound of that. Home.

Harry, however, didn't. He was perfectly fine living in the woods, starving or not. That was the place they had called home for such a long time...he couldn't picture abandoning his home.

"Now, boys, since today is such a special occasion, I'd like you to dress appropriately, perhaps a sweater vest?" Madam Higgins suggested.

"Um, miss?" Liam squeaked. "We...these are our only clothes." He pointed at his tattered and dirty clothing.

"Well then," Madam Higgins said, still smiling, "follow my son, Paul, into the boys' room. You can cleanse yourselves and get your proper clothing on."

"By the way, um, Madam Higgins?" Niall piped up. "What's the special occasion you're talking about?"

"Why, it's Thanksgiving, of course!" she said, ruffling his hair.

"I...I'll see you at dinner," Rosie said awkwardly. Looking like she wanted to say more, she turned away and walked to the girls' room.

"How great is this?!" Zayn exclaimed. "We get a new home! And we get to celebrate Thanksgiving!"

"What do you do, anyways?" Niall questioned, still clueless about the whole concept.

"When I lived with my folks, we celebrated it every year. Thanksgiving is when you give thanks for everything you have," he explained as the walked up the spiral staircase.

"So where's this Paul guy Madam Higgins was talking about?" Harry wondered.

"That would be me," a man answered, causing the boys to jump. "I'm Paul. I help my mum out with the kids. I'm guessing you guys are new?" the man in his mid-forties asked.