Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Wait, we have to do WHAT?!" Liam yelled in confusion.

The boy sleeping next to him, Thomas, had informed him that in a couple of days, the boys and girls of the orphanage were required to go to school.

"That's right," Thomas said with a sigh. "Hey, don't worry man. I'm not too pumped about this either! I don't understand why anyone would be..."

Liam glanced over at his friends. Harry, Zayn and Niall were all still sleeping.

At least, he thought they were.

Harry had his eyes closed, but he was wide awake. He heard the conversation between Liam and Thomas, and Thomas was a nice enough kid, but he wasn't really fond of Harry.

But Harry didn't care.

He was screaming inside of his head. School? SCHOOL?

Harry couldn't wait.

He wished the two days would pass quickly. He wanted to start school, and knew it was a requirement. He'd heard it from Jessica, and was pretty sure Madam Higgins mentioned it once or twice. To Harry's advantage, he had been practicing math and reading when nobody was around. For him, that was most of the time because Harry was very unpopular at the foster home. But he didn't care. School was his opportunity to shine in something. He could get the best grades he could ever imagine, or play a sport, or even join choir.

Choir. Harry wouldn't admit it to anyone, but he LOVED singing. And he wasn't cocky, but he thought he was a pretty good singer. Liam, Niall and Zayn had also encouraged him to join choir. Zayn had a love for singing, as did Liam. Niall said he didn't really like it, but he found himself singing on frequent occasions. Harry insisted the boys join with him. And they agreed, because they needed extra time to spend with each other, especially since their schedules would be extremely scattered.

"But don't worry, Liam." Thomas's words dragged Harry out of his thoughts. "In a few weeks, we'll be on Christmas break. That's about two weeks of no school. So we only have to go for a while," he explained.

Harry heard Liam gasp in excitement. "And after that, we don't have to go back?"

"No. After Christmas break, we have to go until June. There will be a few more breaks, like spring break and Easter break. They might be the same thing, actually...but anyway, yeah. We have to go until June," Thomas concluded.

Harry decided to keep pretending that he was sleeping. He never got up until ALL of his friends were awake, that way he'd get bullied less.

"Niall, Zayn, Harry!" Liam shouted. "Breakfast time!"

Simultaneously, the three sat up and glanced happily at each other. Zayn still couldn't get over the fact that they were fed three meals per day, sometimes with snacks in between. But that wasn't the only thing he was excited about.

As time passed on, Zayn kept getting a stronger attraction towards Rosie. He told himself it was just a crush, but deep down, he knew he was in love with her.

Shaking the thought off momentarily, he followed the boys downstairs and into the dining room. He was starving. Well, not literally. He could have said he was starving when he lived in the woods. Now, the word starving was an exaggeration.

"Good morning, children!" Madam Higgins said. "This morning we're having pancakes, your favorite!"

The children loved pancakes.

Except for Harry, but Madam Higgins didn't notice.

"Bless us, O Lord

With these thy gifts