Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Niall had never been more devastated in his entire life. And that was coming from him, a boy who'd lived on the streets for the majority of his childhood. And it was all because of Liam. His friend. His brother. The one he believed had come back, who'd said he'd never even left, when he'd walked out on Niall.

Then again, he said Niall wasn't his boyfriend yet...meaning he had planned on making him his boyfriend or waiting until their relationship had furthered.

Niall knew what heartbreak felt like. The feeling was all too familiar to him. He didn't know how he felt about Liam. Maybe it wasn't meant to be after all. Maybe he'd been lying the whole time. He wouldn't be able to bear it if that were true. He wouldn't want to believe it either. He had a bond with the brunette. A bond unlike any other. Then again, he wasn't there for him like Harry was.

Was he developing feelings for Harry?

No, they were only close friends. Brothers. Nothing more. Niall knew that. He wasn't a fool.

He felt his heart pounding as he heard Liam's footsteps from the hallway. He'd known what it sounded like when Liam was walking, another thing that was all too familiar to him. He held his breath and tried to calm himself, praying that he wouldn't lose his cool with Liam.

The doorknob began to turn, and the blonde inhaled shakily. He was afraid of what was about to happen. He was afraid of ruining his relationship (or whatever was left of it) with Liam. But he was mostly afraid of losing Liam again.

"If Louis were here, he'd know what to do," Niall murmured under his breath. He'd missed him so much that he couldn't even put it into words. He was still there, in jail, for another year or so.

The door creaked as Liam stepped in. He smiled weakly at the Irish boy. "H-hi," he breathed shakily, seeming as nervous as Niall was.

"Hey," Niall said calmly. So far, so good.

"Look...I'm really sorry about what happened back at the restaurant," Liam explained. "Cait thinks we're dating, and...she can't accept the fact that I'm gay."

Niall gasped. All of the mean words he had prepared to say all vanished. He gulped nervously, and wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead. Was he hearing correctly? Did Liam just say he was...gay? And mean it? No in between, no bisexual...just plain out gay? Niall thought he was off his rocker. He had to have been hearing things. It didn't strike him that Liam was being honest until he awkwardly coughed to break the silence.

"Do you hate me?" Liam asked weakly, and his tone was tugging at Niall's heart strings. He felt a lump in his throat already.

"Of course I don't hate you, Li," Niall responded. "Why would I?"

"Caitlyn slapped me and called me a faggot...then said everyone hates me," Liam admitted, making Niall want to cry ten times more. "She also said I'm going to burn in hell..."

Niall was furious. That girl was nothing but trouble. "Liam. God loves everyone, He would never hate you. Nobody hates you, man. I never did, even when you were ignoring me," Niall said weakly. "Besides, it's not even a choice. You can't choose who you fall in love with. Or who you're attracted to. You can't just be gay one day and straight the next. It doesn't work like that. You have to ignore that...that bitch!"

Liam didn't scold Niall for his vulgar choice of words because he had to agree. All of that time he'd been hanging out with her, Zayn and Rosie, he realized how much of an idiot he was, and that Cait was a stuck up bitch that cared for nobody but herself. He had to stop himself from calling her out on it. It didn't seem like the right thing to do. He was also worried about what Rosie and Zayn would do if he was mean to Caitlyn, because she was indeed Rose's best friend (Liam had no idea how). And Zayn was his best friend, and he couldn't bear to lose him like he'd lost Harry and Niall, not to mention Louis as well.