9 months too soon

“Push. Breathe. Push.” Vaughn guided Perry.

“Stop with these d*mn breathing exercises. When the baby comes, I’ll do all of this crap but for now, leave me alone. “ Perry stood up from the yoga ball.

“But...but just look how big you are. The baby will be here in a week.”

“ThE bAbY wIlL bE hErE iN a WeEk. I know how long till the baby comes shooting out of me. My hormones are crazy and it’s making me cranky. I’m so tired it, it’s taking over my whole life.”

“That’s motherhood for you.”

“Like you would know.” Perry rolled her eyes.

A singular tear fell Vaughn’s cheek. She took her pack of smokes and went outside. Perry felt she went a little too far this time. She was going to apologize but she got a text from her boyfriend. 

Marko pressured her enough to give in. She actually started to like him. He was quite the gentlemen, despite being a bit slow. She enjoyed how she was his world. He also had little cute ideas about things. She didn’t understand him most of the time but she enjoyed the pieces of joy she once forgotten. Not to mention he said he would marry her and be a father to her child. She never had anyone who was this committed and meant it.

She rushed to get ready to see him. The rinky dinky town had a little movie theatre and he would take her to the diner after a movie. He never left her unfed. 

He texted her that she was here and she rushed in the best way she could downstairs. She was caught by a big pair of hands. 

“How are my two favorite girls?” Doss asked.

“You mean me and Vaughn?” 

“Ha. Of course not. You and that little girl of yours. I know she is a girl for sure. I’m the only man who comes in and out of this house."

“Well, not for long. My ride is here.”

“Okay, you better not get pregnant.” He admonished her.

“Ha, ha. You’re very funny.” She got into Marko’s car and sped off. 

Doss sat down on the couch. He wondered where Vaughn was but was soon lost into the crime shows on TV. Two hours in, Vaughn sat next to him. They both exchanged their greetings but with no eye contact. The elephant was gigantic and in the middle of them. They failed to address it and continued like it was there. Constant back and forth looks between them. Then their eyes finally met after many moments of silence.

 "I-" They both spoke at the same time and then they laughed.

"You go first." They said together again.

"Okay, I'll just go. Vaughn I don't even know what we're fighting over anymore. I'm tired of it. We're either at each other's throats silently or just avoiding each other as much as possible."

" I guess so. I feel like I just deserve an apology. You know how much she hurt me and the lies. There were so many lies she told. So many lies that were truth to most of the people in this town. Gosh this TOWN!"

"If you listened to me instead of yelling at me you would've known I defended you." 

"You did?"

"Of course darling. I love you."

"I love you too but you still need to apologize." She reminded him.

The phone started to ring. Doss picked up his phone. Vaughn watched his eyes tear up and fill with excitement.

"The baby is coming!"