Chapter 8

J E N N I E

Dinner with The Manoban Family is something very far from my wish list. Years back then, it would be the best, but whatever happened this year, will make it feel so awkward.

They, by they I mean our parents, and by our parents, I mean Lisa's parents and my parents would talk and talk and would ignore our whole existence.

Years ago we would be laughing but now? We would sit opposite each other and eat silently. None of us were brave enough to start up a conversation.

———

I'm in my room now, getting ready for dinner. What should I wear? My dad said not to wear anything too elegant, wear something... comfortable, so, a bright yellow hoodie (which Lisa gave years ago) ripped black jeans, black Vans, and hair tied into a ponytail. These are comfortable.

I still love the fact that Lisa's hoodie still fits me.

I wonder what Lisa would wear.

*why you always in the mood? Fuckin around actin brand new-*

mommy💕

"Yes, mom?"

"Jennie what are you doing? Lisa and her parents have already arrived at the restaurant, why don't you bring your butt downstairs right now before I come upstairs!"

And she hangs up.

Geez, mom.

Yes, we live in one house but my mom would text or call because she is lazy to shout.

If she texts it means she's not mad or whatever, she just wants me to help her with something, call means she wants me down in less than 5 seconds.

I rushed downstairs and I saw my mom looking at me furiously. "Oh god, Jennie! What are you wearing?!" She shouted at me.

"Dad told me to wear something not elegant, but wear something comfortable, and this is comfortable!" I said in front of my mom.

When did I become this brave?

My mom looked at my dad who is on his phone. "Forget it," she mumbled and lead herself inside the car.

Our driver, yes, driver, Mr. Gofbal started the engine and drove off.

My mom looked pissed. My dad is just sitting and playing with his phone calmly, and me? I was just looking out the window, my hands are trembling, maybe because I'm cold.

When we arrived, my mom's mood suddenly changed, she smiled so widely.

My hands are still trembling. As we entered the restaurant and Lisa is wearing something very casual.

A light blue hoodie and black jeans. She's wearing a hoodie, MY hoodie. I'm wearing hers and she is wearing mine. How cute.

She fits my hoodie because I accidentally bought a big size and gave it to her instead.

When her big doe eyes met my cat-like eyes, she smiled. She smiled so brightly that it has beaten the yellow hoodie that I'm wearing. In her eyes, I can see that she was sincere.

I felt my cheeks getting a bit warm. Am I blushing? Why am I blushing?

Anyway, I and my parent sat down. My parents sat opposite Lisa's parents while I and Lisa sat opposite each other. We sat a bit further than our parents;

"We need to catch up with some stuff you kids shouldn't know,"

My parents and Lisa's parents know the situation we are in. We said nothing about it and our parents already know. You know those "parents instinct"

The food hasn't come yet, and this is the most awkward thing ever. We were just looking around the restaurant. Waiting for one of us to start a conversation.

"Why aren't you guys talking?" My mom asked, she was smiling brightly as if she's teasing us. I rolled my eyes. "It has been a bit awkward lately, Mrs. Kim, so please let us take our time to get comfortable first," Lisa said gently, smiling softly to my mom.

My mom nodded and apologized for disturbing me. Lisa looked at me in the eyes. "So, how's your dog?" She asked.

That was an unexpected question. "They are okay," I said. "How're your cats?"

"They all are okay," I nodded. "How was your relationship with Sehun?"

Another unexpected question. "How did you know about-"

"Oh Jennie, don't be so dumb, Everyone in the school knows, including me. I thought it was someone else making out with Sehun in the janitor's closet, turns out it was you," sarcasm wrapped around her cold voice. She knew. She had been savage lately.

"Care to explain?"

"Look, Lisa. We are at dinner, we shouldn't be talking about this thing. It would be very inappropriate to talk about-"

"So, asking someone to stop courting at a coffee shop is appropriate? Breaking someone's heart two times in the same coffee shop is appropriate?"

I looked down. "Give me both of your hands," she said softly. I gave her my hand and she held both my hands gently.

"You know, I thought that this hand would wear the ring that I would put on but this hand is the one that pushes me away,"

She continued to hold my hand. She lifts her head and looked at my face.

"I thought that those lips would call me sweet things and make my heart flutter, but those lips called me things I didn't want to hear," I looked at her and her eyes were already red. Tears are pooling around her eyes.

"I thought that those cat eyes would look at me with full of love and care, but it turns out that the cat eyes looked at me with hatred and disgust," she giggled a little as tears escape her eyes.

"Your legs, I thought that those legs would walk down the aisle with your dad accompanying you, but it turns out, that those legs are the one that walked away every time we had to talk,"

"Thank you for being the greatest friend ever," tears were already falling from both of our eyes.

"I have to go to the bathroom," Lisa told me and left.

I told my mom I and Lisa wanted to get to the toilet.

I realized everything. I was so stupid.

By the way, thank you so much for 2K readers omg. The longest update ever! I hope this will satisfy
everyone! I love yall