CtC Day 1: Snow Day

This is a Countdown to Christmas prompt by HermittpadRecap

(All of the CtC are, I just won't tag HermittpadRecap everytime!)

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

"It's... snowing?" Grian could hardly believe his ears.

"Yes! Isn't it fantastic?! Xisuma told Biffa, and Biffa told Stress, Stress told Cleo, Cleo told False, it cycled through many others 'till it got to me!" Iskall giggled, "Pretty sure it was supposed to be a surprise, but y'know..!"

"Wow... that's amazing! I haven't had a snow day in years and years!"

"Neither has this server! And you won't believe this; it's Mumbo's first~!" Iskall whispered excitedly.

"No. Way!"

"Yes way! So we have to make it super awesome ok?!"

"Of course!"

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

While Iskall and Grian were gossiping like teenage girls, Mumbo was painstakingly drawing out a blueprint for the building that would house his newest redstone creation. Architecture was never his thing. Wait. That door couldn't go there, and that window would be staring at a mountain! The walls were too big on that side, and the tree would interfere with- ugh! Mumbo slammed his head to the desk. After failing for the next 5 hours, he finally quit, tossing the blueprint in the trash can.

"Oh, forget this rubbish, it's 2 AM! I'm going to bed!" As Mumbo got up, his wobbly and unused knees threatened to give, and his brain was mush, but he managed to make it to bed before he passed out.

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

Not 4 hours later at 6 AM, Mumbo was rudely awoken by satan in a sweater jumping on top of him.

"WAKE UP~~! WAKE UP MUMBY~~!" Grian crooned.

"Oh- my- word!" Mumbo wheezed as Grian finally got off, "I think you cracked a rib!"

"Sorry," Grian apologized unapologetically, "BUT IT'S SNOWING!"

"And?"

"And?! And?! Are you hearing yourself?! Snow, Mumby, Snow!"

"So?"

"S- So?! C'mon! Lighten up! Iskall told me it was your first time, so we have to make it count!" Grian urged. With an exasperated sigh, Mumbo got out of bed and went to change out of his sleepwear.

"And wear something warm! Like joggers, a pullover, and a muffler! It's brass monkeys outside!" Grian shouted. An annoyed groan was heard, and after a few minutes Mumbo finally got out, clad in sweatpants, a sweater, and a scarf.

"Happy?"

"Very! Now let's go, we've kept Iskall waiting long enough!"

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

Iskall tapped his foot impatiently. Where were they? Then, as if on cue, Grian tumbled out of the sky recklessly, and Mumbo landed neatly beside the smaller hermit.

"Wow, Grian failed at Elytra, and Mumbo didn't. Thought I'd never see the day!" Iskall wiped a nonexistent tear from the corner of his human eye dramatically, "What happened?"

Grian looked too embarrassed to answer, so Mumbo did for him,

"He tried to catch a snowflake on his tongue but he ended up choking on it," the mustached hermit recalled. Iskall rolled his eye fondly,

"You're an idiot Grian, you know that?"

"Obviously, was that even a question?"

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

Mumbo had warmed up to the snow immediately, chucking a snowball at Iskall's head.

"Oh, it is so on!" Iskall snorted, throwing a snowball at Mumbo in retaliation, unfortunately missing him and hitting Grian on the back.

"Iskall, you are done for!" In a flurry of glistening snow, no hermit left unscathed.

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

"No Mumbo, you're doing wrong!"

"Huh? How so?"

"You don't do your arms and then your legs, you do it at the same time!" Iskall agreed. They had been trying to teach Mumbo to make a snow angel for the last 30 minutes. And somehow, he still wasn't even close.

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

Mumbo stared at his snowman, Pepe, despondently. He reminded him too much of the real Pepe. (F in the chat for Pepe)

"Oh my- um..." Grian trailed off, blinking at his snowman. Mumbo and Iskall glanced over, inhaling the cold snow air sharply as their eyes (or eye) saw the horrific-ness that was Grian's snowman.

"It's um- well- it's- it's interesting," Mumbo tried.

"And you call yourself a builder!" Iskall snorted bluntly.

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

"This is an awful idea." Mumbo warned the two.

"No, it's an awesome idea you totally wish you had come up with!" Grian rebutted, Iskall nodding along with him.

"No I do n- whatever, just let me see how thick the ice is okay?" the more sensible hermit sighed in resignation. Sticking a ruler through a hole in the ice, he measured the thickness. 2 inches! Mumbo knew that ice was supposed to be 4 inches thick before it was safe to walk on. He turned around only to see that both hermits were already chasing each other around. He opened his mouth to shout about how it was going to crack on them, but then closed it, smirking mischievously. It wasn't a lake, it was a pond. Not a deep pond either. It was a large, shallow pond. They'd live.

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

"Thank you. For doing this for me," Mumbo smiled, setting his hot cocoa down. They were huddled up by a fireplace with blankets at Mumbo's base.

"Anytime! Except for at least another year. That was exhausting."

~~~~~ SNOW DAY ~~~~~

Word Count: ~864