Chapter 12: The Blimp

Winter had been put in to a guest room on the blimp, which she thought strange because she knew there was a small cell area in the bottom front end. She and Greysin hardly had to use it and it had only held people they wanted info from, an occasional hostage, and a very rare double crossed. She remembered that once they held a pretty raccoon girl in one of the cells. What was her name? Tanya, Tara, Triss? Winter couldn't remember. They had hired the girl so she'd get them the blueprints for the Ruby Pure Heart, but when she learned what they wanted her to do, she had refused for reasons Winter had never gotten to ask. Greysin threw her in one of the cells and told her to think it over. The next morning, Winter had found out the girl had picked the lock and escaped.

Winter sat on the bed and kept wondering why Greysin had thrown her in here instead of a cell. It was so unlike him to be anything but sadistic and cruel to those who betrayed him, so why was she the exception? Greysin had never shown Winter love or any care for what she did, so why give her a comfortable room with a tray of her favorite foods?

There was chocolate covered cherries, coffee, blueberry cobbler, and Wonton Soup. Greysin and Winter's mom had always brought them Wonton Soup when they were sick. Winter shed a tear at the thought of her mom. Their parents had died in a forest fire when they had been on their annual family camping trip. Greysin had been ice cold ever since.

She heard a knock on the door and laid down to look like she was sleeping. Her brother's voice came from behind the door in a tone had a thread of concern.

"Winter, can you come out?" When there was no answer, he cracked the door open and saw his sister laying down and facing away from the door. He sighed. "I know you're awake. You were always terrible at faking sleep. Come on, I only want to talk." Winter didn't move. Greysin got the message and sighed, leaving the room.

Once he was gone, Winter's stomach growled. She hadn't eaten since yesterday and she was starving. That food looked really good.

"Just the Wonton Soup." Winter thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two minutes later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Winter opened her door just enough to slip the empty tray into the equally empty hallway. She closed the door, and this time, locked it. She stood back and thought for a moment, the she pushed a nearby desk in front of the door. She peaked out of the window to see a VERY long drop, but she could see the Ruby Pure Heart in the distance. She got and idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mao Mao woke up to a sharp ringing in his head and extremely blurry faces around him. The ringing made it impossible to hear their voices. A moment later, his vision cleared and the ringing stopped, but he had an unbearable pain in his head. He tried to sit up.

"Woah there." Michiko gently had him lay down. "Mom says you have a bad concussion and nearly cracked your skull. You need to rest."

"Can't rest." Mao Mao managed. "Have to save Winter." Adorabat hugged Mao Mao with eyes full of tears.

"I'MSORRYMAOMAOIT'SALLMYFAULTFORGETTINGCAUGHT!!!!" She rambled gibberish until Mao Mao got her to calm down.

"Hey, hey. It's no one's fault. You weren't trying to get captured. Don't blame yourself, Adorabat." Mao Mao stroked her head to calm her down some more. Adorabat nuzzled him and refused to move when Ran asked.

"I'm staying right here until Dad is better. Than we're getting Mom back." Mao Mao blushed a little as his sisters awed. A new voice sounded in the room.

"What does that make me?" Everyone turned to see a brown raccoon standing in the doorway. Her gaze landed on Mao Mao. "Hey, Mittens. You ain't looken to good."

"Tanya." Mao Mao said, happy to see his friend.