1 - The Last Rose of Summer

Hello curious reader, I’m so glad you stumbled upon “The Last Rose of Summer” and I sincerely hope you like it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soft, blows the petal

Slowly, slowly it begins

To loosen, to fall.

Elaine sat on the crisp cool sheets in her night dress, hugging her knees. Her long auburn braid was draped over her shoulder and she played with a loose strand, a nervous habit of hers. She had heard the commotion of horses and their carriages arriving at the manor in the last several minutes and a strange feeling stirred inside her. She already knew about these guests that were to stay for the coming weeks, but something she could not be sure of gave her a feeling of uneasiness. She heard voices lingering downstairs and tried to dismiss them.

She worried that somebody—namely her mother—might decide it would be discourteous if Elaine was not present to receive the guests. In an effort to thwart any attempts to procure her company, she made a point of keeping to her bed.

Her hope dissolved when some minutes later, she heard quiet footsteps ascending the staircase and shortly, soft raps on the bedroom door. Georgiana’s voice emerged from the opposite side of the wood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“And where is your daughter this fine evening?” Sir Arthur asked.

“Elaine? She has been in her room for the past three days and a half,” Jeannette reported rather indifferently. Her change of mood from charming and agreeable the moment before to sour upon the mention of her daughter was apparent.

“You should bring a doctor to see her; from what I have been hearing, her health is not in the best condition.”

“Oh believe me, we’ve tried to find help for her condition repeatedly, but you see, she’s a very stubborn, selfish child, the doctors grew extremely tired of working with her. When our dear Alice died, she never shed a tear, but she has been a most ungrateful recluse since.” A charming, selfish woman, Jeanette was not altogether too concerned with the affairs of her daughter.

“Why that was over three years ago!” Sir Arthur exclaimed.

“Yes, my daughters used to be very fond of each other. It was very unfortunate when Alice was taken from us so soon.” Jeanette eagerly changed the subject of conversation. “Anyway how are you tonight Sir Arthur? And you James, I hope you are well?”

“We’re very well, thank you dearly for inviting us to your home for such an extended period.” Sir Arthur replied, “We are greatly indebted to your services to us Madam. Jeanette gave a small wave of her hand to say it was nothing, smiling flirtatiously.

“Well, shall we be dining then? I believe that Georgiana should be finished preparing supper by now.” That was the first thing Howard had said all evening.

“Oh Howard, is that all you can think about- your empty belly?” His wife frowned at his lack of class and gave him a cold glare. “Well we may as well now. Georgiana!” the anxious-looking maid scurried out of the kitchen. “Is our supper ready?” Jeanette demanded.

“Yes, ma’am ‘tis finished now, shall I set the table?” Georgiana spoke softly with her eyes on the floor. She clasped her hands together, coarse from cleaning formula and years of manual work, about to retreat into her safe haven that was the kitchen when Jeannette interrupted her plans.