Meisrei

The solidity of the arms holding me was familar. The smoky scent they had about them was different than that of the fire burning the area around us, me and the person holding me. I heard the laugh of our opponent- Meisrei. I opened one eye enough to see her bent form, her long black hair billowing in the wind, her eyes wide and mouth smiling. She cackled again, her whole body shaking with it's twisted laughter.

"Shit..." Natsu growled, his eyes narrowing.

"I told you I don't like people who mess with my nakama!" He yelled.

She laughed again, "And what will you do about it? You're just a puny boy!"

"Hah, you are gonna wish I was just a boy!" he snapped back. He rested me against an uprighted rock.

"Stay here Lucy, you are safe here," he said before leaping back and taking stance to fight Meisrei. His muffler billowed up in a breeze and it rustled his spiky pink hair.

"I'm all fired up now," he grinned slamming his lit fist into his open palm.

Meisrei raised her crippled looking hands. With a flick of her finger and a chant, "Boreas' Wind: Frozen Blast!" sharp wind blasts flew at Natsu. She smirked as the rocks around him exploded and dust filled the air. Her looks shifted from triumphant to horrified though as the dust cleared and Natsu was still standing unharmed.

"H-how?!" She stuttered, "No matter! If I hit you with my poison gases that will finish you off!"

Natsu grinned, his hair hiding his eyes, "You think that can actually do anything to me? I've fought and beaten the Poison Dragon Slayer; He's got poison deadlier than any of yours,"

She grit her teeth. "One only know's if they try! Lernaean Hydra: Poisonous Breath!" And a mysterious yellow gas seeped from her mouth.

"Roar of the Fire Dragon!" Natsu yelled after inhaling nearby flames; gaging at their horrible taste. The gas was caught in the blaze and either blew away or burnt up in the heat. Natsu didn't give Meisrei a chance to react as he leapt at her, fist raised.

"Fire Dragon's Sword Horn!" He yelled as he slammed his fist down on her. She screamed in agony and fell to the dirt, unable to take anymore. We had already hit her with a lot force, so I sighed when she finally collapsed.

Natsu stood above her, eyes aflame, fists still lit. "Anyone who messes with Lucy gets their asses kicked, I thought I made that clear to you," He said in a low voice.

She turned her head to look up at him, her crooked smile back. "Just you wait Dragon Slayer, someone stronger than you will come along," she stopped to cough, "and you won't be able to protect her,"

He smirked, "Lady, you don't have any idea what kind of person I am, but I will beat any person who tries to hurt my nakama no matter how strong they are,"

"Even someone like Guildarts?" She questioned innocently.

Natsu visibly stiffened but soon relaxed, "I've still got some growing to do lady, so don't go underestimating me," he folded his arms. Then with a few final cough's she passed out and we where able to turn her in to the army. Natsu carried me on his back all the way back to the nearest town where we stayed for the night. We ended up having to share a bed, and we didn't really complain; we were both tired and ready to sleep.

• • •

I snapped out of my flashback when Erza shook me back and fourth violently.

"See!" She grinned triumphantly, "I told you it would work!" She took a bite out of her strawberry cake as if she hadn't almost shaken me to death. I grip the bar as my head spins.

"Yo Luce! Here's your cut," Natsu hands me a small bag. I look at him confused.

"Why is it in a bag?" I ask him. He shrugs as Happy lands on his head.

"Hi Lusheee~" he sings as he carries a fish in his mouth.

"Hi Happy," I give him a smile.

"Natsu! Gajeel! My office, now!" Makarov suddenly called for the dragon slayers. Gajeel stood up from his seat and Natsu released Gray's collar and shoved him away. They both looked serious. They followed Master into his office. I poked a glance at Mirajane.

"Any chance you know what that's all about?" I question her. She gives me a grin that says 'yes', but when she neglects to tell me what I drop the topic. Mira hums softly as she works behind the bar, but she suddenly stops and looks up at me.

"Lucy, do you think Lisanna and Natsu still have feelings for one another?"

I stiffen slightly, then shake my head, "I wouldn't know, though Lisanna has told me to stay by Natsu's side..."

Mira turns away smiling. I look after her slightly confused by her action. Then Gajeel and Natsu come out of Makarov's office. Natsu's eyes land on me and he stares at me before shifting to look at Gray.

"Yo, Ice Stripper!" He calls out to him.

"What, Flame Brain?!" Gray turns to look at him. That's when Natsu leaps at him. As he is about to meet Gray's face with his fist Erza steps in and knocks Natsu to the ground. He lays there twitching while Gray laughs. Erza glares at him and Gray quickly stops.

Natsu gets up and after glaring at Gray hurries away from Erza and over to me. "Hey Natsu? What did Master need to talk to you about?" I ask him.

He looks at me puzzled for a second. Then he shrugs and says, "It's nothing too important right now Luce,"

I nod my head and then get down from the bar. As I pass Levy I say goodbye to her as I leave. I look back to see Natsu and Happy following me. I don't question it, deciding they are probably going home too and begin my walk home.

"Yo Luce, wait a second! Happy and I are coming with you," I turn when Natsu calls out to me. I had no clue why he wanted to come with me, but maybe it had something to do with not just barging into my apartment at random times anymore. I stop and wait for them to catch up with me and then fall into pace with Natsu.

"You aren't going home? We just got back from a tough mission," I glance over at him. He shakes his head in response.

"I can't really explain. I... I will when we get to your place," he tells me.

"Oh, okay..." I trail off and then wave to the guys in the canal.

"Good afternoon Lucy!" They greet me. That's when we reach my apartment building. We head inside and get to my small apartment. Small- but perfect for me.

Natsu closes the door and Happy stands on my table. His face is all seriousness and he folds his arms over his chest.

"I need to be your personal guard for a little while Lucy, okay? Makarov discovered someone was targeting you and told me to watch over you," he explains.

I stare at him before asking, "So what did he need Gajeel for?"

"Levy is being targeted too," he says blankly, as if he didn't care about that part.

"So he's watching her? And you are watching, me?" I reiterate. He nods his head, and Happy says from behind me "I get to tag along! But I might find Carla later, hehe~."

"Do you know who-" I turn back to Natsu but he cuts me off.

He shakes his head and says, "Who cares, I'm not letting them touch you,"

I look at him baffled for a second. Then I remember when he threatened Hughes saying, "You bastards lay one finger on Lucy and I'll turn all of you to ash."

I sigh and say, "Alright, I guess you are going to have to stay here with me... Right?"

He shakes his head and suddenly smirks, "Sorry Lucy, you are coming with me, so pack a bag. We are going somewhere safe,"

Now he's suddenly all mature again...